Getting a HUGO or HDVD800?
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stevendjm

New Head-Fier
Hi Headfi members,

Recently I wanted to upgrade my source and amp and is now quite stuck in the above mentioned two equipment.

My current setup is an AK240 directly LO to Earmax Sliver, to drive TH900 and LCD3. (thinking of selling LCD3 and purchase HD800 back...)

I have been researching for several days and ends up at HUGO or HDVD800.

For Hugo, I might still need to maintain my Earmax since HUGO might not be adequate to drive my large cans. Then the setup will be AK240 toslink - HUGO rca - Earmax.

For HDVD800, the setup will be much simple, which will become AK240 toslink - HDVD800.

No doubt the DAC part of HUGO is magnificent, but I am worried about its build quality and amp part. For HDVD800, I will get a strong and balanced amp but the DAC part is rather weak.

Anyone who has tried both or has the similar setup with me can share some thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

Steven

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 7
I've tried both and the HDVD800 is a great all-rounder, the sound is a little analytical with some headphones but resolution is great.

The Hugo is in another league though due to its DAC, the detail is incredible. Consider connecting the Hugo to a HDVA 600 or similar. The build quality is not in question - it's a solid unit, and it powered some tough to drive AKG K240 DF headphones with plenty of room to spare. With TH900 and LCD3 you'll be in a very good place.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Steve for your feedback.
Can I ask what source are you feeding both equipment? PC, toslink?
Is the difference between HDVD800 and Hugo easily noticeable? Thanks.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 7
This was from a PC for both. I tried the Hugo alone with Coaxial input with good results -from a Fiio X3!

Bear in mind that the DAC is the most noticeable in the Hugo - I hear that the Hugo's amp may not be as good as the HDVD800 but if given a choice between the two I will opt for the Hugo. I tried it with some classical music and I could feel the sound decaying/reverberating around the space in a way which made my ears jump, they were completely fooled by it. The HDVD800 does not do this.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Steven, add the Conductor to your list.
It has an amazing amp section and resolving Dac, you can switch modules in few minutes -in this case the Sabre or the Burr brown. 

For the price/performance it does better than Sennheiser offerings. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 7
If you are getting a Burson Conductor, you  may want to pair it with the Nordost Blue Heaven power cord. This cord really bring the best out of burson conductor.   The soundstage is really stunning using that power cord.

There is a ebay offer on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nordost-Blue-Heaven-A-C-Power-Cord-1-Meter-MSRP-210-/281425800518?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item418648ed46

There also a offer on the Burson Conductor SL 9018  for almost half the price off on audiogon through Parts Connexion.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-burson-audio-conductor-sl9018-headphone-amp-dac-53-discount-new-in-box-full-warran-2014-08-16-headphones-l7l5y4

Thanks formula1. I will check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back