Getting a custom.. Some issues to iron out
Aug 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a JH13PRO after hearing all the hype about it.. impulsive spending? Maybe :p (btw any other models I should consider? Kinda struck off UE11pro already since JH13 should be the better model)

My main concern is with the cable.. I'm quite sure it's a removable cable. However, I have some problems with removable cables.. After a few removal/insertions of the cable, the holes in the driver unit seems to enlarge and makes the cable very loose.

I've owned a Superfi5pro and a triplefi10pro, and this issue occurred to both units. The cable is so loose that the drivers would often fall off easily.. Often when I take it out of my pocket the R side would simply drop off (and subsequently give me a panic attack trying to look for it).

1) I have a feeling that with all removable cables this issue is inevitable and will occur after a while (or am i wrong?)

2) The durability of the hard acrylic is a concern. What are the chances of it cracking if I accidentally drop it?

3) Any other issues with customs I should be aware of?

Customs is a one way street with no resale value.. I expect this to be the last IEM I will purchase in the next 5 years or so, so it has to be really, really durable. (I'd be too broke to purchase anything else anyway :p)

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 3
Why would you be removing a cable enough to have that concern? I've had UE11s for a year, and now have JH13s, and haven't once needed to/though about removing the cable.

I've accidentally dropped both of mine a couple times on hard surfaces (cement floor and driveway), and neither suffered any damage, though I cringed each time and wouldn't want to do it again.

The only issues with customs I've had was fit. The left earpiece of my UE11s needed adjusting, which is a bit of a pain, but worth the hassle to get it right. I was lucky, and my JH13s fit perfectly from the get-go.

btw, I know the JH13s are expensive, but if it's not an irresponsible stretch for you, I do think they're worth every penny, and are as good or better than systems I've owned and/or heard costing $1000s more. I truly believe that as far as headphones go, sq wise, they may be the best bang for the buck headphones available.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Speaking from experience, I didn't have a need need to detach the driver from the cable, but it just detached itself from normal use and wear. From then on, the driver holes just kept getting looser, and now the R side of my TF10 just keeps falling out. Sadly it's out of warranty so I can't get it replaced.

Yes that's what I heard of the JH13s too, prompting me to seriously consider getting a set. I was previously considering the ACS T1 because it's made of silicone but I think I'll go for the JH13pro instead.. Just have to be very (very, very, very) careful with it.

Thanks for your feedback! good to hear from someone who owns multiple customs
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back