Getting a BMW - know a good shop in NYC?
Apr 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, how can you mix up something like that!?
confused_face.gif
eek.gif

i know... HUGE difference.
redface.gif

it belonged to my folks, so i was going from memory.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 28i motor is one of the best engines developed by BMW! But a V8 is a V8!!

Amen. I am considering getting an old E34 540 or E32 740 for V8 hobby car. While I prefer american cars for V8 sound, their prices have skyrocketted making BMWs much more preferable choice. Well, I can remove the resonator from the exhaust pipes making it sound bit rawer, american style.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i misspoke... it's not a 528it... it's a 540it.

gotta love the V8!

E39 V8 is known to have more problems than the I6.....GL!

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E39 V8 is known to have more problems than the I6.....GL!

this one has been pretty reliable so far... we'll see.

on the other hand, 0-60mph in 6.2 secs in a wagon is nothing to sneeze at.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 28
Congrats Vic..

Do you have a pic of the new ride for us to see?!

I was a proud owner of an E39 540 Sport, 6-speed manual transmission, M62 engine. The M62 did have several years where there were recalls but the vast majority of the manufacturing runs on this engine were superb, if not some of the best engines BMW built for V8's. My car was a rocket ship.

Few things to look for with an E39 V8..

~ Rocket's usually eat the fuel, mine was no different.

~ The interior cup holders were beyond useless but break easily. Make sure to keep it nice and clean on the interior with working cup holders up front and in back.

~ The M62 has many inter-related devices to its operation. As such, when a repair arises for one thing, other components are usually attached to that particular device's operation.

~ Repairs on an E39 can be costly. This said, it is a BMW and is expected to a degree. Make sure you nip any problem in the butt before other caveats arise as result of letting said problem go.

~ One repair that is great as a proactive measure on the E39 especially is the water pump. Another problem area related to gas mileage, pickup, combustion, and other diagnostics is the radiator encasement/tank. This is one of the repairs that relates to many other functions but is often missed with techs/Stealers throwing parts at the engine, electrical system, exaust, etc. Ask me how I know that one.
wink.gif

I would ensure to befriend a trustworthy tech to buddy up with. Note that the LandRover V8 and BMW V8 are very similar, so if you have a buddy or coworker with a tech for his LR..you may be able to get good service cross brand-like. An independent BMW tech that knows his/her stuff would be ideal to have relations with as well.

That forum you linked that you obtained your ride from is one I belong to as well.

A few questions:
Was the seller the original owner?
Is it a NY car originally?
Has the car ever been crashed/repaired with major work?
Does the car contain the original panels? (serial numbers should be under the hood on sides and front panel)
Is the OBC free of error codes upon startup?
Did the owner complete the phase II inspection already?
Did you obtain the records of maintenance and/or the tech which he/she utilized so you may contact? If yes, and in the in the area, your service history may be on file and can be continued with no breaks.

One upgrade if not already on the car that I recommend is the K&N Air Filter, lasts a life time and is a nice mini add on for a few more horses under the hood.
Here is the link to the 2000 540i (all models)
Mfr p/n 33-2142 You can obtain off Amazon or perhaps locally at a Napa auto.
Again, congrats on the new acquisition. I am still in love my E36 328is which I purchased at 30K miles. I have owned several E36's and an E39.

The E39 is one of the best sedans ever built, it is also very safe, comfortable, and exudes class. Great design.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I guess that goes without saying.
smily_headphones1.gif
Power and torque doesnt come for free, it never does.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Vic..

Do you have a pic of the new ride for us to see?!

not yet... but i'll post when i've got one... not picking it up till May 15.

Quote:

I was a proud owner of an E39 540 Sport, 6-speed manual transmission, M62 engine. The M62 did have several years where there were recalls but the vast majority of the manufacturing runs on this engine were superb, if not some of the best engines BMW built for V8's. My car was a rocket ship.

Few things to look for with an E39 V8..

i anticipate that. i'll just have to come to terms with it.
wink.gif

Quote:

~ The interior cup holders were beyond useless but break easily. Make sure to keep it nice and clean on the interior with working cup holders up front and in back.

~ The M62 has many inter-related devices to its operation. As such, when a repair arises for one thing, other components are usually attached to that particular device's operation.

~ Repairs on an E39 can be costly. This said, it is a BMW and is expected to a degree. Make sure you nip any problem in the butt before other caveats arise as result of letting said problem go.

~ One repair that is great as a proactive measure on the E39 especially is the water pump. Another problem area related to gas mileage, pickup, combustion, and other diagnostics is the radiator encasement/tank. This is one of the repairs that relates to many other functions but is often missed with techs/Stealers throwing parts at the engine, electrical system, exaust, etc. Ask me how I know that one.
wink.gif

it's been in the shop getting a full top-to-bottom inspection. hopefully they know to look for cooling system and other issues. you know how much it may cost to replace the cooling system?

Quote:

I would ensure to befriend a trustworthy tech to buddy up with. Note that the LandRover V8 and BMW V8 are very similar, so if you have a buddy or coworker with a tech for his LR..you may be able to get good service cross brand-like. An independent BMW tech that knows his/her stuff would be ideal to have relations with as well.

first thing on my list is to find a good mechanic i can trust.

Quote:

That forum you linked that you obtained your ride from is one I belong to as well.

A few questions:
Was the seller the original owner?

it was my mother's... she bought it from a friend, with 20,000mi on it back in 2003.

Quote:

Is it a NY car originally?

nope... atlanta. so i get to break it in with a 900mi road trip.

Quote:

Has the car ever been crashed/repaired with major work?

i think she was in one fender bender about 2-3 years ago, but no biggie.

Quote:

Does the car contain the original panels? (serial numbers should be under the hood on sides and front panel)

one replacement at most... but i think all original.

Quote:

Is the OBC free of error codes upon startup?

hopefully not after the shop!

Quote:

Did the owner complete the phase II inspection already?

i think so... i will double check.

Quote:

Did you obtain the records of maintenance and/or the tech which he/she utilized so you may contact? If yes, and in the in the area, your service history may be on file and can be continued with no breaks.

pop's got 'em.

Quote:

One upgrade if not already on the car that I recommend is the K&N Air Filter, lasts a life time and is a nice mini add on for a few more horses under the hood.

Here is the link to the 2000 540i (all models)
Mfr p/n 33-2142 You can obtain off Amazon or perhaps locally at a Napa auto.

excellent to know! i'll look for one. also thinking of replacing the headlamps... the lenses are a little foggy. those angel eyes look pretty cool.

Quote:

Again, congrats on the new acquisition. I am still in love my E36 328is which I purchased at 30K miles. I have owned several E36's and an E39.

The E39 is one of the best sedans ever built, it is also very safe, comfortable, and exudes class. Great design.

thanks... and much obliged for all the advice!
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 28
Oh you're getting a 540i? That's quite a bit better than the 528i - very nice. I've always loved BMW's V8s.

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 28
If it's just a scratched/yellow/cloudy lens issue, people have gotten decent results by wetsanding with progressively finer sandpaper, then polishing them with a plastic polishing compound, and applying a UV-protective clearcoat. Should make them look new and clear. Obviously, it won't be as good as brand new headlights, but it will look much better.

That's one issue that bugs me so much with older cars... you can have a car that is really clean, but hazy yellow headlights make it look crappy. Keep 'em nice and clear!

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's just a scratched/yellow/cloudy lens issue, people have gotten decent results by wetsanding with progressively finer sandpaper, then polishing them with a plastic polishing compound, and applying a UV-protective clearcoat. Should make them look new and clear. Obviously, it won't be as good as brand new headlights, but it will look much better.

That's one issue that bugs me so much with older cars... you can have a car that is really clean, but hazy yellow headlights make it look crappy. Keep 'em nice and clear!

My 97 328IS looks newer than many brand new cars, especially the headlamps.

The method above does work but is often times not necessary. There is a product called Turtlewax 2K1 spray, it is a protectant for rubber and plastic. It is an invaluable product against hard water, heat, UV rays from the sun, and keeping renewed all materials applied to. ( trim around windows, wind shield, and head light)

Here is the link, this is highly recommend for all BMW owners. Use it every time you wash the car to detail all the black, rubber, trim, trunk/door seals, etc.

It is a great secret that is simple and cost effective.
Here is the link, it is called 2K1 now VS 2001 but is the same product. Find at your Autozone, Checker, or Napa Auto Part store.

I provide high-end detailing for European automobiles on the side and besides a two bucket wash system for at home car care, this product is one of the best formulas for renewing and keeping restored certain materials. (not just making looking shiny)

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 28
I agree - I like Meguiar's PlastX, it works well too.

If the headlights are in decent condition, by cleaning and polishing them, they'll stay clean and clear, and you'll never need to do anything more serious.

If they're already very hazy and yellow, and a polish like 2k1 or PlastX doesn't work, then wetsanding is necessary.

There are also laminated films that you can apply over them. I'm thinking about getting it for my new headlights, but if Turtlewax 2001 is that good, I'll just do that instead.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are also laminated films that you can apply over them. I'm thinking about getting it for my new headlights, but if Turtlewax 2001 is that good, I'll just do that instead.

I have used it since 94' and since that time owned and used it successfully on several BMW's with like-new clear results. Must be applied after every wash and while lens is dry. Do not leave this product on the paint, wipe it off.

The other very useful part of BMW's for this spray is on the BMW kidney grille and bottom front grille if black plastic. (spray on a little cloth or specialty sponge, not directly on car..so to control application of) It also works and is used on all lights on the BMW, tail, cornering, side markers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back