Getting a big bonus soon. Want to spend 300$ on headphones
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

emperorarghoslen

Head-Fier
Hi, I wanted to buy a HD555 but then i found out my boss is giving me a 400$ bonus soon as i have worked really hard and he's impressed :p
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
. Now I want to buy a new set of cans in toronto Canada for 300-350$. I am OK with pre owned as long as they are in good condition.

I listen to Power, Death and black metal and sometimes I listen to classical stuff like Mozart or Beethoven too. I don't have an amp or anything my computer has a Audigy Sound card and my Speakers are Logitech Z2300. What are the best cans i should look into.

Ps this is embarassing but whats the diffrence between open and closed headphones ?

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 6
Open headphones allow sounds from the outside world in and some sound from the headphones out. Closed let less sound in and less sound out, they create the resonating chamber inside the cup. Some people think they have more bass. I haven't listened to closed headphones in 30 years so I don't know. Open are generally cooler in temperature and I would say the "best" headphones are open but that, of course, is a personal matter.
Your HD555s are considered pretty good all-rounders. You throwing in that classical bit makes it very difficult to suggest one headphone. I'll back out and let the AKG crowd make some recommendations, that's where I think it will go.
Good luck.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by emperorarghoslen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to Power, Death and black metal and sometimes I listen to classical stuff like Mozart or Beethoven too. I don't have an amp or anything my computer has a Audigy Sound card and my Speakers are Logitech Z2300. What are the best cans i should look into.

Get SR225, save money and get an amp.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 6
The SR225s are great, among my favorites, but they are among my least favorites when it comes to classical. That was going to be my recommendation until he threw in that classical bit.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 6
For the metal, Grado seems like a good choice. I bit uncomfortable after a while, but great sounding.

I love both my SR80 and my SR325 (out of production, replaced by 325i) for power metal, grunge, and a bit of hardcore. If you don't want to spend too much, I'd go for the SR80- SR225.

Another phone to consider is the AKG K240 Sextett (also out of production), which would need amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back