Getting 24 bit 192 kHz from Amazon Ultra HD from Echo hardware devices
Jan 26, 2022 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SpiffyGriffy

New Head-Fier
Long time reader, first time poster. I conglomerated this hardware together and thought I'd share. In fact, I created an account here JUST to share this because I listen to this daily and it makes me happy. It is likely someone else thought of this, and there might even be discussion about it, but I wanted to pass along what I've done with success.

I generally like the Amazon Echo devices. The verbal convenience for the non-tech savvy folks in my household is great. I'm also a fidelity and audio quality nutjob, so I want my streaming to be top-notch. Amazon has some great HD content, but their delivery hardware falls WAY short. I needed a way to join the standard Echo verbal convenience with 24/192 output. The Echo Link, despite optical output, is incapable of delivering this. The D/A conversion to 3.5mm outputs on all Echo devices is also sub-par for my needs. So this is what I did:

1) I purchased an Amazon Fire Cube. Yes, these are typically used for video streaming, but they also play the Amazon Music HD app.
2) I purchased the Kanex Pro HDMI digital audio extractor from Amazon. The Amazon ID for this device isB06XGL6JRB if you want to look it up. At the time of purchase, this is THE ONLY HDMI audio extractor that will pull 24/192. I tried a couple of other HDMI digital extractors that claim HD extraction from HDMI sources. They could not achieve this bit rate and frequency. The Kanex WORKS providing genuine 24/192. Amazon also specifically says that it detects the end device is capable of 24/192 and sends the signal as such (Thank you, HDMI)!
3) I use the optical output from the Kanex to go to my D/A convertor for my headphone stack as well as critical listening stereo rig.
4) I use a spare 1080p monitor that was gathering dust and plug it into the output of the HDMI audio extractor, so I can see album art, lyrics, and even the music videos.

Bam. Fully streaming Ultra HD that I can control with verbal commands from my Echo Fire Cube. Again, VERBAL COMMANDS without having to have my smart phone or a computer. To use one of the many other streaming devices out there, some other non-verbal based interface is required.

What is COOL about this:

1) Music Videos! If you have ever used the amazon music app on a smartphone, there is a button to switch to the music video and watch the accompanying video with the song. That is really cool and fun, and can be great for entertaining. The only downside is that you only get the audio track for the MP4 file, and based on the sound of it, is probably 128 mbps MP3-type quality. Sufficient to watch the video, but not for fidelity.
2) Quality HD streaming information. The bottom left corner of the screen for each track shows the recording specs (i.e. 24 bit, 48 khz), the next line shows what the Fire Cube senses your device is capable of (in my case, 24 bit, 192 khz), and what resolution it is currently playing at, which will be the lower of the previous two. It also says the codec being used, typically FLAC for HD.

Here is were things fall short:

1) The Fire Cube loves to show video. I have to often add the clause "on Amazon Music" to many verbal commands. For instance, the regular echo would respond to "Alexa, play burning down the house" by queueing up the Talking Heads song. On the cube, it will search for any movies, TV shows, and the like titled Burning Down the House and play those instead. Only adding the ending clause "on Amazon Music" with nearly all commands gets me through it.
2) Shuffle mode doesn't work. I've sent Amazon many a bug-report about this. When I ask the cube to shuffle one of my personal playlists, it responds "Shuffling your playlist, _____, on Amazon Music", but the shuffle mode never turns on. I have to get the Fire Cube remote and turn it on manually for those times when I want shuffle. This should be an easy fix but it hasn't happened yet from the programmers at Amazon.
3) Depending on your equipment, you may or may not be able to use the Fire Cube to control the volume. The HDMI output delivers line-level volume output regardless of the volume level of the Fire Cube. Only programming the Cube to control your receiver/TV via the built-in IR emitter will allow volume controls. This is generally reserved for mass-market receivers and TVs. Boutique audio equipment is not in the Echo Library of devices, so it can't be controlled. It was convenient to shout at the Echo to turn the volume down, but may not be possible depending on hardware.
4) Using the 3.5mm audio output from the Kanex Pro to a line level input is not advisable. I had high noise floor when doing so. The optical output is the only way to go.

I have been shackled to Amazon music for years, so now that I can stream 24/192 with verbal commands, and pay $8 / mo which is much cheaper than Tidal and any other HD streaming service, makes me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back