Getiing a New pair og Headphones
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Duuuuuude

New Head-Fier
Hey
So I am relatively new to the headphone business, but Id like to know a couple things. First, I am looking for a pair of headphones preferably big that can fit way around my ears(I have kinda ears that stick out). And the last 2 pairs I got were from Costco(a Sony wireless MDR-ZX770BN and another Sony wired version). The wired version began to rip on the inside of the left ear cup, so I returned it. And the wireless began to hit my ear.

Since Costco has full refund and lifetime warranty, I didn't really worry. I don't know what to buy, but it has to be a little large like the Senn HD598 and have some sort of warranty or a very good chance it won't break. Things like open back and ultra good sound quality aren't important to me, As long as they sound relatively good.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 6
If you're thinking of looking at other outlets (other than costco) then the Fostex T-20RP might be a good one - these are built for studio use primarily so they're quite rugged. The T-20RP is an open headphone and it has two brothers, the closed T-40RP and semi-open T-50RP. Ensure that you're looking at the 'mark 3' versions which were released in the past year (if memory serves).

All require a decent amount of power so will be suitable for a full-size amp, but may struggle with portable players.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fostex-t-20rp-mk3-open-back-headphones-with-detachable-cable.html

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I think because the HD598 has a pretty good chance that it will break (even though perhaps only under constant duress or abuse).
A quick search will reveal numerous instances of plastic headbands cracking.

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Beyerdynamic DT-150's if you can drive them. Bulletproof.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 6
What about Sony MDR7506. I have the V6, which is identical to the 7506 and is over 15 years old. Look it up. They're indestructable. In fact, my dad has a pair that's older than me, and it functions perfectly. They also sound pretty damn good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back