Get the right equipment with a 200$ budget
Jun 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Interpol

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I've searched number of guides for providing an audiophile's-wanted-sound, and viewed some guideful tips, but eventually, I wanted to get the best opinion I could get, and I think I can claim it here.

So, I have a lot of FLACs and I want to purchase with a 200$ (250$ tops) budget:

- Good computer speakers.
- A DAC who does the job.
- Appropriate sound card (I can't determine whether I have an appropriate one or not now, I was hoping you could tell me how to. I've tried to check it with the Device Manager and all I could find out is that it's "NVIDIA High Definition Audio").

So, I don't know how the budget should be spent - 50% on the Speakers and 50% on the DAC? Or someway else?
Which good speakers can I buy with this budget? I thought about JBL but I guess you're familiar with better ones.

Thank you 

Ran

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 21
Speakers will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of sound quality. I'd get a pair of these JBL LSR305s and then wait for a sound card as a future upgrade: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Those are a fantastic deal, and, IMO, will sound better with your default sound card than a <$200 pair of speakers and a $50 sound card.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 21
You could get a Behringer UCA 202 to use as a DAC and feed that into a Lepai LP 2020+  That'd only take you to about $50, then get a pair of stereo speakers of your choosing.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 21
That Behringer would work well with those JBLs, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, that'd work too of course. Then you'd just need a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" I believe (not used the JBL's).

Personally, I like the option of switching speakers between systems, which is why I'd get a dedicated amp and non-active speakers, but each to his own - and the JBL's sure have stellar reviews.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Yep, that'd work too of course. Then you'd just need a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" I believe (not used the JBL's).

Personally, I like the option of switching speakers between systems, which is why I'd get a dedicated amp and non-active speakers, but each to his own - and the JBL's sure have stellar reviews.

That's what I have, too. Passive speakers, and I am using them with a Indeed TA2021 t-amp. Those JBLs are just such a good deal at that price.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 21
Speakers will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of sound quality. I'd get a pair of these JBL LSR305s and then wait for a sound card as a future upgrade: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Those are a fantastic deal, and, IMO, will sound better with your default sound card than a <$200 pair of speakers and a $50 sound card.

So basically you're saying to get a couple of those speakers in 240$? But what about a DAC and an upgrade for my sound card? (Can my sound card deliver? I mean, I don't know if it's invested enough).

Does the wiring and the setting of those speakers is hard to manage?

Quote:
  You could get a Behringer UCA 202 to use as a DAC and feed that into a Lepai LP 2020+  That'd only take you to about $50, then get a pair of stereo speakers of your choosing.

Is it necessary to get both the Lepai LP 2020+ and the Behringer DAC? How does it impact the sound? The Behringer couldn't stand by its own? 

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 21
So basically you're saying to get a couple of those speakers in 240$? But what about a DAC and an upgrade for my sound card? (Can my sound card deliver? I mean, I don't know if it's invested enough).

That's what I just said. Get those speakers. You can upgrade your sound card later on when you feel like it. Certainly a new sound card will make them sound even better.

Those JBLs compete well with powered speakers or passive speakers + amp in the $350 to $400 range. Unless you have the most horribly bad computer audio, they will sound at least as good (although I would bet on better) than alternatives that your budget affords with a new sound card (or DAC). Besides, that Behringer UCA 202 is $30. Buy it six months or a year from now, of save up for an even better sound card :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 21
That's what I just said. Get those speakers. You can upgrade your sound card later on when you feel like it. Certainly a new sound card will make them sound even better.

Those JBLs compete well with powered speakers or passive speakers + amp in the $350 to $400 range. Unless you have the most horribly bad computer audio, they will sound at least as good (although I would bet on better) than alternatives that your budget affords with a new sound card (or DAC). Besides, that Behringer UCA 202 is $30. Buy it six months or a year from now, of save up for an even better sound card
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, that's actually pretty funny - saying that 2 speakers can make a better work than nice speakers and a DAC. 
I have some more questions, if I may:

1. I came across those speakers. Them with the behringer DAC won't be as effective? (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t-amp-and-b652-speaker-bundle--300-650)

2. Does it hard to connect the DAC with the speakers?

3. If I want, can I connect the speakers to my TV as well? How do I do so?

4. I am coming from abroad to the U.S.. Do the speakers take a lot of space? Is it hard to carry abroad?

Thank you for your help!

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 21
Okay, that's actually pretty funny - saying that 2 speakers can make a better work than nice speakers and a DAC. 
I have some more questions, if I may:

1. I came across those speakers. Them with the behringer DAC won't be as effective? (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t-amp-and-b652-speaker-bundle--300-650)

I already told you. The JBL's compete with $350-$400 speaker setups. Those Dayton speakers are $40 passive speakers. Very bottom entry level speakers.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 21
  Is it necessary to get both the Lepai LP 2020+ and the Behringer DAC? How does it impact the sound? The Behringer couldn't stand by its own? 

The Behringer will work by itself if you're using powered speakers, like the JBL's that have been suggested. But not if you're getting passive speakers, like the Daytons.

If you go for the Behringer + JBL's, you should get an RCA to dual 1/4" lead so you're taking the line out from the Behringer, and not the headphone out.

4. I am coming from abroad to the U.S.. Do the speakers take a lot of space? Is it hard to carry abroad?

The dimensions and weight of the JBL's are listed on the link that cel4145 gave you:

Height11.75"
Width7.28"
Depth9.88"
Weight10.12 lbs

But what about a DAC and an upgrade for my sound card? (Can my sound card deliver? I mean, I don't know if it's invested enough).

If you're using a USB DAC (like the Behringer) you don't need a sound card.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 21
  The Behringer will work by itself if you're using powered speakers, like the JBL's that have been suggested. But not if you're getting passive speakers, like the Daytons.

If you go for the Behringer + JBL's, you should get an RCA to dual 1/4" lead so you're taking the line out from the Behringer, and not the headphone out.
The dimensions and weight of the JBL's are listed on the link that cel4145 gave you:

Height11.75"
Width7.28"
Depth9.88"
Weight10.12 lbs

Okay, great! I think I'll go for the Behringer + the JBLs. But, can I connect the speakers to my TV? And is it easy setting the set? (Attaching the Behringer to the speakers and so)?

Thank you for your help!

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 21
  Okay, great! I think I'll go for the Behringer + the JBLs. But, can I connect the speakers to my TV? And is it easy setting the set? (Attaching the Behringer to the speakers and so)?

Thank you for your help!

As I've already said, you'll need a dual 1/4" to RCA cable to attach the Behringer Line Out to the JBL's. If you don't know the difficulty of doing this I suggest you do some more research into what you're buying first.

Whether it can attach to your TV depends on your TV.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 21

Height11.75"
Width7.28"
Depth9.88"
Weight10.12 lbs

As I've already said, you'll need a dual 1/4" to RCA cable to attach the Behringer Line Out to the JBL's. If you don't know the difficulty of doing this I suggest you do some more research into what you're buying first.

Whether it can attach to your TV depends on your TV.

Well I guess I won't be possible to purchase those at 100% due to the restrictions of the luggage weight in the flights.

So, are there any other speakers that doesn't weigh too much and can be perfect for the setting?

By the way, according to Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI), the DAC doesn't support 24bit. Is there another DAC that does support it?

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 21
Audioengine A2+ are smaller, desktop multimedia speakers that have a built in DAC. You just hook them to your computer via USB: http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A2-Premium-Powered-Speakers/dp/B00DQMJE7E/

Or you could get the older model Audioengine A2, which does not have the built in DAC, and get your own DAC. http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Desktop-Speaker/dp/B000VKEFMS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back