Get rid of forum-breaking user-agent sniffing
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2015 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

adisib

100+ Head-Fier
Pale Moon is a fully featured, modern, standards compliant web browser based off of Firefox. Any properly made website should render and operate without any issues unless the website handles user-agent sniffing very poorly to not know what to do with something it doesn't recognize.

It seems that head-fi does handle user-agent sniffing very poorly, and so provides Pale Moon and any other non-mainstream browser with an unnecessary and completely broken text editor that cannot insert line breaks, forcing me to use Firefox to post something readable.
Please allow any browser to have the nice WYSIWYG editor that is available instead of the completely broken one.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 5
No problem here with Palemoon. User agent isn't spoofed either, just plain stock (albeit running uBlock and uMatrix).

Perhaps something with your setup in particular?

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm using the 26.0 beta 2, not the current stable version of 25.7. Version 26 adds Goanna to the user-agent string, which has added a whole new can of worms to user agent-sniffing and has required a lot of hard-coded overrides for some websites (especially Google) to get them to work.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't see Huddler likely to do anything to resolve this - to them this would probably be very much an edge case. I realize that asking is the proper thing to do, but I'm just saying to not hold out much hope from their end. Meanwhile, while this is going on, why not just continue to spoof the user agent? It's not a solution but at least it'll get you up and running.

It also seems like the team is working on issues like this. From here:
 Some vBulletin-based fora don't seem to like this browser, resulting in non-functional editing areas and toolbars. We're trying to figure out exactly what is causing these issues, but at first glance it seems to also be a useragent issue. We've corrected/worked around some of the issues in this beta, but some fora still don't like it.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 5
It seems the issue wasn't with user-agent sniffing, but rather related to navigator.product:

navigator.product will now return "Gecko" instead of "Goanna" since this is a historical requirement (all browsers return "Gecko", even IE and Safari, and some libraries break otherwise). This should make the browser more compatible with particular libraries like certain in-page editors.

Though it isn't a problem for this particular browser, the other fallback editor is still broken and could cause problems for browsers that do not use this poor compatibility standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back