Get more Turbines?
Feb 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JumpNChute

New Head-Fier
My turbines recently broke (right bud stopped working) and I bought them from an independent seller on Amazon so the warranty does not apply.  The day before they died the right bud sounded faint, but I thought it was just a problem with my ear, as I've had trouble with my right ear like that before.  So I am in the market for new IEMs.  Since there is a literally insurmountable amount of information on this site I started with joker's huge thread here.  I am looking for phones in the Tier 2 range, which happens to contain the turbines, and joker gives them such a glowing review (the pros more so) that I am thinking I might just get another pair (this time spring for an "authorized reseller" just in case this happens again).  I love the Turbine sound, but would it be worth it to go for a pair of Hifimans or Future Sonics or even a Westone?

The RE262 looked intriguing given its extremely high sound score in that tier, but joker says they have relatively "soft" and "tactful" bass.  I listen to a lot of Jazz, which would be great, but I also listen to a lot of electronic, which it sounds like these would not be ideal for.

The Ety HF5 also looked nice but has the exact same "problem" as above.  I also feel a little iffy about getting a moving armature set for such a relatively low price.  The custom tips would be nice, though, as I think I might have oddly shaped ears.

The Fischer DBA-2 seemed to be his favorite in this tier for their all-aroundness, but he didn't like their build quality too much, and I would prefer these last me a long time.

And of course the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10, which seems to be the community favorite around this range.

Any opinion?

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
westone um1 maybe?

no, I would suggest reading up on ljokerl's and cleio's thead here, don't look just at the rating/numbers. Turbines are bass oriented phones, and if you like bassy phones, warm/sweet is probably the farthest I would go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-218-iems-compared-fischer-audio-paradigm-v-3-fa-977-jazz-added-1-29-12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-hisound-audio-popo-golden-crystal-added-jan-28th-2012

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 7
If in the end you cannot decide on anything, try RE0 with Sony hybrid tips + some bass boost portable amp.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 7
I have probably the smallest and cheapest available amp on the market: the FiiO E5.

While it is entirely true that Turbines are bass oriented they also have surprisingly clear and balanced mids.  I think you are right, buffalowings, and warm/sweet is exactly what I want.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 7
The Yamaha EPH100 are great sounding IEMs with solid built quality and they excel with electronic genres music like Turbine do but they are more detailed. The other IEMs like MTP Gold(upgrade over Turbine and it's more detailed but sharing the same soundsignatue), EX600, JVC FXT90, GR07, UETF10Pro and HF5(bass light compared to others but mids, highs are amazing and imaging, instrument separation is great) are recommended and these all are more detailed than Turbine and serve these genres music equaly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back