Get iBasso D10 for my SE210 or get SE530 without amp?
Apr 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for all the responses! So I guess that means I'm saving up for new IEMs now. I've always been intrigued by the SE530, but went with the SE210 because of the huge price difference. Now, I know that everyone on HeadFi always advises to directly get the headphone or earphone you want. So maybe I should just go for the SE530 now.

You all say it won't be a huge step up from the SE210 when it comes to bass quantity? What does it improve on, then, with it's dual woofers? It's not that I find the SE210 so severely lacking that I need IEMs that will crush my ears with bass. I just want earphones that have deep, somewhat authoritative, but most of all quality bass. Will the SE530 offer me that? While I'm not 100% satisfied with the SE210's sound, I do think the Shures are extremely comfortable. So going Shure will at least assure me a good and comfortable fit. I don't if I'm willing to bet on pricey IEMs of which I don't know if I'll like how they fit...

who said it wouldnt be a huge step up in terms of bass quantity?

Quote:

Mark2410, what's you favourite IEM? You seem to own a lot of them. How does the SE530 rank between all you other sets?

530 sits still in its throne in the number one position. its sound sig is almost exactly what i want, its bass for me is pretty much perfect. smooth, controlled and effortlessly deep, mids are to die for and the treble is very detailed but recessed somewhat so they are a pleasure to listen to extended periods. no fatigue at all from them. fit and comfort is top notch too.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
530 sits still in its throne in the number one position.

Ah, that's good to read. It makes me a lot more comfortable with going that route. If the SE530 turns out to be what I'm after, it'll save me quite some money over an iBasso D10. That's worth a try, now isn't it?

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #19 of 45
well for the money you will gain more by going to the 530 than the D10.

i feel i should say that once you reach the top end of things any of the big 4 are very good and it becomes about your sound signature preferences as to which one is best. for me that is the 530

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 45
Can always buy a D10 later. I'd rather have Grado 325i's unamped than Grado SR-80's with a £200 headphone amp.

It's not like you're considering HD600/650 which'll sound worse than a lower end/easier to drive phone if using portables to power them.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel i should say that once you reach the top end of things any of the big 4 are very good and it becomes about your sound signature preferences as to which one is best.

I guess with 'the big 4' you mean the Shure SE530, UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro, Westone 3 and something like the Etymotic ER•4P or Sennheiser IE8?

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

What will sound better? What I'm missing most in my SE210 is bass. There's no authority to speak of. Will a headphone amp bring me that? Or will I be better off with an SE530? It may be a (far) better IEM, but I could always use a headphone amp like the iBasso D10 to (better) drive my 'real' headphones from my MacBook.

Of course, getting an SE530 will be somewhat cheaper, but getting an iBasso D10 will be way more versatile. So it's price versus versatility.

What would you guys choose? I haven't really got the money to buy either right now, but I'd better be prepared for when I do...

I owned the SE210s and while the mids/highs were quite good, there really was no bass. My amping experiments didn't really help either (PA2V2 and RA1).

You are much better moving up to the SE530 or even better still the Westone 3s or IE8s.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

What will sound better? What I'm missing most in my SE210 is bass. There's no authority to speak of. Will a headphone amp bring me that? Or will I be better off with an SE530? It may be a (far) better IEM, but I could always use a headphone amp like the iBasso D10 to (better) drive my 'real' headphones from my MacBook.

Of course, getting an SE530 will be somewhat cheaper, but getting an iBasso D10 will be way more versatile. So it's price versus versatility.

What would you guys choose? I haven't really got the money to buy either right now, but I'd better be prepared for when I do...

SE 530s now, amp later.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #25 of 45
or wait for the se640's and get the amp now
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 45
Well, this seems to be a closed case, then. I'm officially saving up for an SE530 now. And I should basically avoid buying from eBay sellers because they won't offer me the warranty that official Shure dealers will?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Heh heh...

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #27 of 45
530s, mess around with amp never or later

Buy from any of the high rated stores via google or a sponsor here - think ~300 usd

Bottom line is a 530 off a stock ipod2g will burn your ears out at full volume...I can only listen at 70 percent or so without seriously pissing off my ears. I have preampd, ampd, LOD the same setup with similar results as just going direct. I did not bother taking my portable amp with me on my last trip - about 10 hours of in ear listening time on planes and stuff.

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 45
Can anybody see if The MP3 Company, an Amazon UK storefront for Expansys, is an official Shure dealer?

EDIT: Never mind... I just found my answer on this page. The are indeed an official Shure dealer. That's a pretty good price, then! I might have to buy it sooner, rather than later, now that the pound is so weak compared to the euro.

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
530s, mess around with amp never or later

Thank you for your clear answer. My path is getting clearer and clearer.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps

Heh heh...

yes i was joking but i wasn't joking. this summer's product release cycle will see new offerings from Shure as they look to be entering the headphone market aggressively. i would not be surprised to see them release a new iem by fall/winter in order to keep up with new products from sennheiser and westone. after all, the se530 is around 3 years old now... this is all conjecture atm, but it would make sense from a product release-cycle and marketing view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back