Get ATH-M50x or wait for ATH-MSR7?
Jan 6, 2015 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HiBrian

New Head-Fier
Hello Fellow Hi-Fiers,

This is my first post.  I’d like to begin by saying this forum/community has been a fabulous resource for researching headphones, and I want to sincerely thank y’all for your contributions, opinions, and advice.

That said, I am debating whether to get the ATH-M50X or to wait until the MSR7 comes out?  I have a preference for bass (I probably consider myself somewhat of a bass head?) and understand that sonically the M50x provides more bass than the MSR7.  However, the MSR7 looks absolutely gorgeous:)  I’ve read about the more natural (balanced) sound signature of the MSR7 and, would like to be more open-minded to other styles of sound signatures since I’m relatively new to the audio world.    

Background:
I’m certainly not an audiophile, but I believe I can appreciate good quality music – good sounding music to me has the ability to take you to another place and provides a sublime audio experience that transcends mundane, everyday life.  I like bass (but, also like a nice balance of mids and highs). My genres of music include Pop, Hip Hop/Rap, Dance, Alternative Rock, EDM, Dubstep, and some Country. I’m a casual listener who uses headphones mostly for studying in the library and using them at the gym (I don’t sweat very much so that’s not a concern).

My experience with headphones is somewhat limited:
Apple ear buds, Sony MDRE828 ear buds, and Beats Pro (please no Beats Bashers – it was a gift – he hee). 
Source: iPhone 6.

I’ve listen to the following Audio-Technica 911 Youtube video with my Beats Pro on an iPhone 6 and, I have to admit, it sounds awesome! Love the badass video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Kz12Ijanw

Anyways, I’m sure the above Youtube video would sound a lot better with some ATs (which I’m real excited about :p; hence, my debate whether I should get the M50x or the MSR7.

I’ve considered the AT “Solid Bass” line but have ruled them out because I don’t like:
(1)   the “Y type” cable,
(2)   the cable is not detachable, and
(3)   the supra-aural ear pads
a.   The Beats Pro are considered “over-ear” but I believe it’s a misnomer because it doesn't completely cover my ears – and, I do not have large ears – which absolutely kills it for me because that **** hurt sometimes. I understand the WS 33/77/99 line are similar (but please correct me if I’m wrong).

Essentially, I want a “true” over-ear (or circumaural), closed-back headphone with a detachable cable that produces good bass as well as balance mids and highs.  I’ve narrowed it down to the M50x or the MSR7 (which I have to painfully wait for their release in the US).  I believe the m50x will satisfy my bass desire, but I’m heavily leaning towards the MSR7 because, utility wise, I strongly believe it will provide me with greater satisfaction (the look alone has given me an eyegasm! I’m sure the sound will give me an eargasm too – can’t go wrong with multiple-orgasms, right?!)

My questions:
  • How does the above youtube video sound with your equipment?  Please provide source and type of headphone so I have some perspective to do a relative comparison.
  • In light of my preferences, would you recommend the M50x or MSR7?
  • Can I achieve the bass response of the M50x with the MSR7 if I use it in combo with a FiiO E6 amp (or please suggest any other similarly priced amp)?
  • Any other headphones I should look at with my preferences?
  • The MSRP for the MSR7 is $249.99.  Do any of you believe they will be cheaper when they first become available in March on Amazon, etc.? And, if so, how much?

I’ve read Earfonia’s fantastic review between the m50x/50LE and msr7, but I was hoping to get other head-fiers’ opinions. All advice is welcomed (except beat bashing unless you really have the urge/desire to make your hate known :wink:.  Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.  

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't have absolute answer for you but I vote waiting for the MSR7, you can always change your mind and buy the M50X then.  The MSR7 sure gives multiple eyegasm :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 12
How does the above youtube video sound with your equipment?  Please provide source and type of headphone so I have some perspective to do a relative comparison.
  • In light of my preferences, would you recommend the M50x or MSR7?
  • Can I achieve the bass response of the M50x with the MSR7 if I use it in combo with a FiiO E6 amp (or please suggest any other similarly priced amp)?
  • Any other headphones I should look at with my preferences?
  • The MSRP for the MSR7 is $249.99.  Do any of you believe they will be cheaper when they first become available in March on Amazon, etc.? And, if so, how much?

1. If your money limited to M50x, buy it. But if you can buy MSR7, why not MSR7?
biggrin.gif
 But MSR7 can't be folded like M50x 
confused.gif

2. From my memory, if compared my MSR7 to M50x, MSR7 bass is tight and not boomy as M50x
3. Sony MDR-1A
4. I'm not sure sorry
X. About youtube video: I have FiiO E10K. Maybe I will turn on the bass boost for genre like that. Check this video too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCO4da_sww (audio-technica Solid Bass)

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi nimaina, 

Thank you for your vote. Yes, I was sort of contemplating something similar to your idea.  I was planning on purchasing them together so they can be compared simultaneously; but, I'm afraid of three things: 

1. I feel bad returning an item I already opened (though I shouldn't if it does not satiate my audio desires)
2. I might like both of them so much that I will be even more confused.
3. I may end up buying both (which is not in my budget) :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 12

1. If your money limited to M50x, buy it. But if you can buy MSR7, why not MSR7?
biggrin.gif
 But MSR7 can't be folded like M50x 
confused.gif

2. From my memory, if compared my MSR7 to M50x, MSR7 bass is tight and not boomy as M50x
3. Sony MDR-1A
4. I'm not sure sorry
X. About youtube video: I have FiiO E10K. Maybe I will turn on the bass boost for genre like that. Check this video too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCO4da_sww (audio-technica Solid Bass)

Hello riposte, 

Thank you for your response. 

1.  Yeah, I'm sort of on a budget, which is around $250 at the most.  I'm praying that the MSR7 will be similarly priced to the M50x on amazon considering their MSRP are 249 and 239, respectively; however, I doubt this would be the case because it appears the MSR7 are selling at a premium on most sites :frowning2:

2.  I'm still learning the technical jargon of what it means to have tight, punchy, deep, muddy, earth shaking, etc bass.  I know what kind of bass I like more than others when i hear it, but just not able to describe it in words (correctly) at this point. I need to do more research, but I'm learning.

3. Thanks for suggesting the MDR1A - it's a little over my budget; but from what I hear, sonically it has great bass. 

4. No worries; however, if you get a chance to try out that E10K and post back it will be greatly appreciated.  No rush tho

Oh, and thanks for the link.   I wish AT USA had more videos like that for its products.  It was a pretty awesome video - it was like bass in your face!  I've originally ruled out the "Solid bass" line because of the nondetachable, Y-shape cable; however, after watching the video I may reconsider.  Cheers!

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 12
You might already have seen this review compaing the MSR7 with the MDR-1A. But in case you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://youtu.be/g_UofWQqit0

For full disclosure, I don't have anything to do with reviewer

It just a first impression review, but might help you decide.  I've just tried the MDR-1A in a store few day ago, and I really like them, I like them even better than the M50X (I compared them side by side at the store). The MDR-1A is very comfortable, and that is important if you plan on wearing them for long hours. They have a very detailed sound image. I also like how they deliver the bass. For me personally this could be my next can!!

If you have ever tried the MDR-1A, you might end up by three of them.. Haha

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 12
  You might already have seen this review compaing the MSR7 with the MDR-1A. But in case you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://youtu.be/g_UofWQqit0

For full disclosure, I don't have anything to do with reviewer

It just a first impression review, but might help you decide.  I've just tried the MDR-1A in a store few day ago, and I really like them, I like them even better than the M50X (I compared them side by side at the store). The MDR-1A is very comfortable, and that is important if you plan on wearing them for long hours. They have a very detailed sound image. I also like how they deliver the bass. For me personally this could be my next can!!

If you have ever tried the MDR-1A, you might end up by three of them.. Haha

Thanks for the link.  I’ve actually seen the video, which was uploaded only a few days ago.  I’m actually subscribed to the Aussie :wink:  Imo, he is clear and gives some pretty good objective reviews along with his own impressions, critique and recommendations.  I respect his viewpoint, as I would any other…Lol on the full disclosure – I, too, am in no way associated with the reviewer.  It’s just a resource to get another perspective. 

Thanks for your impression on the MDR1A too!  They do look very comfortable, nice, and probably have a better bass profile that I’m looking for relative to the MSR7.  But it’s a little over my budget, and for some reason I have a slight bias for AT.  I’m going to see if I can try out a pair of the mdr1a if can, or at the very least research more reviews.

What cans do you currently own or have owned?

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 12
I have too many pair of headphones now.  I got the Hifi-Man HE500, the Sennheiser RS180 (I'm a big fan of open headphones), the Klipsch Mode M40, the Symphonized Wraith, the Sony MDR ZX750, and the Yuin PK2..... Lol.  really too many!!

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Have you checked out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/new-audio-technica-ath-msr7-and-ath-msr7ltd

Probably better for learning more about the MSR7LTD since very few people have heard them.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Yes, I have subscribed to, and have been following the captioned thread.  Nonetheless, thanks for suggesting the thread - better to recommend than not - it can be easily overlooked 
wink.gif

The thread has been particularly informative as a first impression with respect to design, build, functionality (sensitivity to amp. pairing, etc.), sound signature (some describe it to be slightly sibilant (tho, I believe some have retracted this observation after burn in) while most find otherwise, a few mentioned it could be fatiguing at higher volumes for extended sessions, etc.), as well as relative comparison to other hp, etc...

I will continue to follow. Thanks for the reply optimus supremus 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Now that I have read Earfonia's review, seems like an interesting headphone. I'll be curious to see how the MSR7 measures. Might be a good alternative to the Soundmagic HP150 (which is more my kind of sound signature than ATH-M50).

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 12
I took a listen of the MSR7 at Audio-Technica's showroom and thought they sounded great but they're very different from the M50x. M50x has a v-shape with more sub-bass and treble and recessed mids. The treble of the MSR7 isn't as thick as that of the M50x. Like Lachland, I wouldn't say the MSR7 are sibilant as some reviews put it, but there is a peak in the upper mids that can get harsh at higher volumes. I've already bought the M50x and IM70 so I don't plan to get the MSR7 for now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back