Get a turntable and expand your musical tastes
Oct 14, 2003 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
Now I know a lot of people dont like LPs because they scratch easily and pop and crakle but they have one major advantage over CDs, they are dirt cheap.

I have just pulled my turntable out of the attic intending to burn some LPs to CD but got caught up playing with it again. Next thing I know I am up early on Sunday morning and rummaging arround at car boot sales. Wow LPs 25p a throw (thats about 40c). Next the charity shops - 50p a throw for mint condition classical albums.

So what does this mean for my musical taste. Well it means I bought 12 albums last weekend for a grand total of £5.00 or the same as one ultra cheap CD. Would I have bought twelve CDs, no or if I did (I do sometimes) I would have been buying stuff that I had been planning to get for a while and it would have been more mainstream. With the LPs I just bought a random selection, so long as they looked like they would play I bought them. Its a mixed bag some very good some OK and some bad but I listened to stuff I would not have heard otherwise and some of it I really liked.

From this weekend the good stuff I wouldn't have normally bought was:

1) Jonny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues.

Made me go out and buy a couple of CDs

2) Dvorak - Slavonic Dances Op.72, nos 1-8, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

Very good, I would never have got round to buying it on CD as I have a very small (20 Cd or so) classical collection and am still trying to get the stndard library stuff as I can afford it.

3)Herbert Howells - Quartet in A minor Op.21, Fantasy String Quartet Op.25, Rhapsodic Quintet Op.31, Richards Ensemble with Thea King clarinet.

I have never heard of this guy or the musicians or even the record label (Lyrita) but its a fantastic bit of English Romantic music that I would never have heard if I hadn't picked this up for 50p.

Also got some nice Brendel Beethoven, Delius and Elgar but I kind of thought they would be good so no real surprise.

So get a cheap record deck and get up early on Sundays and expand your musical horizons without breaking the bank.

Pat - re converted to vinyl and we dont talk about the Systemdek I found myself bidding for on Ebay today .....

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by pcolbeck

3)Herbert Howells - Quartet in A minor Op.21, Fantasy String Quartet Op.25, Rhapsodic Quintet Op.31, Richards Ensemble with Thea King clarinet.

I have never heard of this guy or the musicians or even the record label (Lyrita) but its a fantastic bit of English Romantic music that I would never have heard if I hadn't picked this up for 50p.

Good find. Lyrita was an audiophile-quality label that recorded the music of British composers. They were praised regularly in The Absolute Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back