get a squeezebox or ipaq?
Jan 22, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Leland

New Head-Fier
I have tons of ripped music, and have been slowly ripping my whole cd collection to lossless. I use a Rio Karma with transcoded oggs on the subway and at home (my evo n600c has the worst headphone jack of all time--thank god my t42p at work is better).

Because I'm the one deciding this, work is going to give me an old server that I'm going to put all my hard drives in that currently reside in external cases.

My plan is to throw my hard drives into the server, and presto, I've got a headless media server.

The original plan was to buy a squeezebox and run slimserver. Then I realized that the closet where the server is going to hide is only 5 feet away from my receiver (small NYC apartment). I'm thinking it would be better to buy myself an ipaq and a nice soundcard, and run a cable to the receiver directly from the computer. Slimserver's limitations in dealing with flac (no tags, etc.) are a prime consideration for this. Also, an ipaq should have better display/remote capabilities than the slimserver, even if it doesn't look as cool.

Does anyone have any experience with using a wireless pda to directly control foobar2k (my media player of choice)? Or comments on my plan? Any guides online to this kind of setup?

This is going to happen over the next month so I have time to readjust, but I am interested in how people run a setup like the one I want to make. Good news is that adding a squeezebox to the mix will not be hard if I decide that I also want access to my music in a separate room. On that note, does anyone access their music through both slimserver and directly through a media player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back