Geshelli Labs
Dec 29, 2018 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

torii

Head-Fier
surprised such a broad forum base hasent mentioned a top o line balanced dac that uses latest and greatest stuff...I wont go there, but this enog2 pro dac delivers the business. anyone here use or test one? I use one and dont think I would ever need a new one UNLESS I need higher than usb 24/192. my laptop, topping, bluesound all have higher...but this one just sounds perfect. someone needs to test and show results otherwise just holding out.
ref=pd_cp_267_2
upload_2018-12-29_21-29-51.jpeg

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 22
funny you mention the lights...I turn my dac on its side so the bottom of the board is facing me....no lights

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 22
the dac produces no heat that I can feel....one thing I suspect that makes this dac great is power supply design

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 22
Where's the metal case version?

The vendor doesn't have a separate linear power supply to offer, it would be nice to know the PSU requirements.

Far too many LEDs to light up the night sky.

This review didn't give an inkling of what the DAC sounds like.

that review was for 1st model year I suppose...maybe zeos can put some words together to sell a dac for
Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO DAC Fully balanced ....ouch that copy/paste bold

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 22
It's the best dac i've ever owned. I've attempted to get some knowledge out their. It is utterly transparent and allows the music to literally flow through. You hear every micro detail, room acoustics, reverbs. It adds a level of realism I haven't yet experienced in another dac. If you own a $100 dac and do critical listening you owe it to yourself to at least try this dac out. Or better yet the G stack (amp/dac).
They do offer a metal case option. I own that one, they come in black or purple at the moment. The PSU is definately a clean implementation. The LED's are not really a big deal once you have it in front of you. It's more of a soft glow like a tube. Not like a bright white LED to blind you like on so many oh so popular dacs/amps. On the archel pro amp you can hold down the input LED button and change between 3 colors and also turn off the internal LEDS. I'm hoping he can add an extra button on the Enog2 pro to do the same. He could possibly add an actual power putton and give it the same multifunction as on the archel pro amp.
That Z review is the first enog pro dac. That was a non balanced design and based around the 4490. Oh and I should note they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with! Along with Zach at ZMF.

Where's the metal case version?

The vendor doesn't have a separate linear power supply to offer, it would be nice to know the PSU requirements.

Far too many LEDs to light up the night sky.

This review didn't give an inkling of what the DAC sounds like.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 22
It's the best dac i've ever owned. I've attempted to get some knowledge out their. It is utterly transparent and allows the music to literally flow through. You hear every micro detail, room acoustics, reverbs. It adds a level of realism I haven't yet experienced in another dac. If you own a $100 dac and do critical listening you owe it to yourself to at least try this dac out. Or better yet the G stack (amp/dac).
They do offer a metal case option. I own that one, they come in black or purple at the moment. The PSU is definately a clean implementation. The LED's are not really a big deal once you have it in front of you. It's more of a soft glow like a tube. Not like a bright white LED to blind you like on so many oh so popular dacs/amps. On the archel pro amp you can hold down the input LED button and change between 3 colors and also turn off the internal LEDS. I'm hoping he can add an extra button on the Enog2 pro to do the same. He could possibly add an actual power putton and give it the same multifunction as on the archel pro amp.
That Z review is the first enog pro dac. That was a non balanced design and based around the 4490. Oh and I should note they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with! Along with Zach at ZMF.

That's a big thanks for clearing up quite a few mysteries, not explained on the website.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 22
If you message geshelli labs they will answer any and all questions you may have. From my talks with Geno he hates usb and drivers. Optical and Coaxial is a much easier and straight forward implementation.

I would be interested in a DAC with the new AKM chip (especially balanced), but why no USB input? Just add a XMOS XU208 board a proper driver, and this would be perfect.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 22
I would be interested in a DAC with the new AKM chip (especially balanced), but why no USB input? Just add a XMOS XU208 board a proper driver, and this would be perfect.

USB has the bandwidth and connectivity, sure, it can do DSD512 standing on its head. The sacrifice is that the USB to I2s conversion creates havoc on the DAC's power supply and clock circuits. It's VERY difficult to keep the noise out of the DAC's circuit with the signals coming from a noisy computer either from countless SMPS and conducted emissions from the host AC network. The cure is a separate box that provides an S/PDIF output with distance. There's a bit of debate of course, which mechanism works better Ethernet or USB, the former has the advantage of cabling distance more than 2m and is inherently galvanically isolated and as always depends on the implementation on how best it can sound.

For the ENOG2 PRO I would have liked many things, but most essential is an AES3 input, which would open it up for the pro market. I don't see the metal case option as being satisfactory, it's not a complete Faraday cage with plastic ends?! The board is small and flexible enough to mount in another enclosure, complete with a linear PSU as a complete unit.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 22
USB has the bandwidth and connectivity, sure, it can do DSD512 standing on its head. The sacrifice is that the USB to I2s conversion creates havoc on the DAC's power supply and clock circuits. It's VERY difficult to keep the noise out of the DAC's circuit with the signals coming from a noisy computer either from countless SMPS and conducted emissions from the host AC network. The cure is a separate box that provides an S/PDIF output with distance. There's a bit of debate of course, which mechanism works better Ethernet or USB, the former has the advantage of cabling distance more than 2m and is inherently galvanically isolated and as always depends on the implementation on how best it can sound.

For the ENOG2 PRO I would have liked many things, but most essential is an AES3 input, which would open it up for the pro market. I don't see the metal case option as being satisfactory, it's not a complete Faraday cage with plastic ends?! The board is small and flexible enough to mount in another enclosure, complete with a linear PSU as a complete unit.
I appreciate the explanation. I would prefer a device that can do DSD, and does require a separate box from my PC, something like eitr would work I guess. I was just looking at new devices to try, and I like to give the smaller companies a shot at my business. Not every device is made for every customer, so I understand the lack of USB.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 22
I recommend trying it out with some sort of jitter reducer/reclocker. I recently found out that an old hegel HD2 DAC that was passed onto me by my dad is a great reclocker, and has a COAX output. Since I wasn't using the hegel HD2 as a DAC (it doesn't sound very good compared to the enog), I thought I would try it out as a COAX output for the enog DAC. To my surprise, it made a massive difference, everything sound more open and spacious. Going back and forth between the optical out on my macbook and on my Meridian explorer, the enog almost sounds muffled compared to when it is running through the hegel HD2. This is kind of bizzare because the enog is already so transparent, but with a jitter reducer, this transparency goes up even more. I'm also powering the enog with an iFi iPower supply, and this seems to make a difference too, albeit much more subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back