GermanMaestro GMP 400 - Advice Please (amping / DAC)
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rob_0001

New Head-Fier
Good evening all.

Apologies in advance if I have posted this request in the wrong section, but I feel my request covers a small range of areas... that, and its my first post so go easy!

Anyhow, to the point you say... Well, after some deliberation, head scratching, and numerous hours of Google searching, I have just ordered myself a pair of GermanMaestro GMP 400's, which I feel should about suit my audio taste down to the ground. I'm now however left with the problem of amp/dac..

I'm currently running my old Sennheiser 485's through the headphone port on my Rotel RA-04, which to my untrained ears sounds pretty good. The problem with this is I'm running my audio from my PC with no DAC and feel I should probably sort that out when the new headphones arrive as to make the most out of them. My question ultimately is, for a budget of no more than £100, should I stick with my Rotel amp and grab a dedicated DAC, or would it be an advantage to buy an integrated DAC/headphone amp, and move on from the Rotel completely...? 

I guess ultimately what I would like to know is, what should I buy!? I am considering grabbing a Topping D20 to stick with my Rotel RA-04 - unless there is a better option?

Any advice is more than welcome, I am after all, an audio novice :)

Thanks!   

[size=medium]  [/size]

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Only advise I can give you is to just wait for the GMP to arrive and listen to it with your current setup before anything else.
Your impressions should dictate which direction to follow next.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Only advise I can give you is to just wait for the GMP to arrive and listen to it with your current setup before anything else.
Your impressions should dictate which direction to follow next.

Thanks for the advice - you'r probably right, and I can feel my wallet agrees with you! Maybe for the best not to rush into anything to soon, I guess its the obsession with always trying to get more out of your equipment :) 

I'd still be interested in any other advice or suggestions, the more the merrier :) 

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 11
I have the GMP 400 and use them with the JDS Labs O2 and the iFi iCan. Both power them fine. O2 is ever so slightly brighter, iCan is slightly smoother.

Regards

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the GMP 400 and use them with the JDS Labs O2 and the iFi iCan. Both power them fine. O2 is ever so slightly brighter, iCan is slightly smoother.

Regards

Hey Oscar - thank you for your input :)

With me having got hold of these a while back now, I pretty much went for the trial and error approach to things! I'm currently using the following set up:

Topping D20 DAC
Little Dot MK III Amplifier with 6H30Pi Electro-Harmonix power tubes and Mullard M8100 drivers

I've tried the GMP 400's with some of the other German Maestro pads, and the Beyer DT990 pads - both of which I didn't like the sound of so went back to the standard pads... just sounded a bit 'thin' to me...

Unfortunately I'm no music expert and have nothing to really compare the quality too, but to my ears they don't sound to bad with the above budget set up :) 

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 11
They do sound very good, tubes will help I guess. Using the iCan you can give them a slight bass boost which may help.

I use the iTube hooked up to the iCan and its brilliant.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Just got the Bravo Audio Ocean amp in, sounds great with the GMP-400, adds warmth and fullness to the sound.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Just got the Bravo Audio Ocean amp in, sounds great with the GMP-400, adds warmth and fullness to the sound.

That sure is a little fella, looks good value for money though! I do like having a play around with tubes I must admit, I'm waiting on some new ones arriving myself - although they have been on their way now for nearly a month... /sigh. 

I think the weakest link in my kit at the moment is my DAC, its a Topping D20, and whilst I think It sounds great - I think after Christmas I'll treat myself to something a tad more substantial around the £2-400 mark. I have had a read around but I find there aren't to many threads offering up good DAC examples in that price region, or maybe its that there are to many to choose from! :)  

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 11
I took the bravo Ocean to hifiheadphones and Robin loved the pairing with GMP's. He wants to get one for people to demo the GMP with as they pair so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back