Germanium transistor amp
Oct 10, 2006 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not very knowledgeable in electronics but why are there NONE?
biggrin.gif
If its possible to use them in a headphone amp design, i think this is indeed a great idea for very good and unique sounding amplifier.

But let me start:

I first heard about germanium transistors being used in old vintage fuzz pedals (for electric guitar). I just thought it was a purely vintage kinda thing which you find very often among guitar players.

But when Chandler LTD came out with their highend germanium mic-preamp some time ago, these quickly became the new favourite toys of many (high-end) studios. You'll here these preamps on many recordings soon, or already.

The designer says "Germanium transistors have a natural and musical sound which is unreachable with silicon transistors."

Now you could say this is all marketing, but just have a look yourself at forums like gearslutz. Also recording engineers are PAID because they know what sounds good, and what does not
wink.gif

I'm really curious how a germanium based amp would sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Heh, last I remember of germanium crystals was making my "crystal radio" with one, way back a long time ago. Some of you will remember, the cardboard tube with magnet wire on it for the tuning, the bent safety pin poking the crystal, and the very long antenna needed. No power source was used to power a small speaker or that early mono ear bud, that came with the 9v transistor radios back then.

I assume there were actual production transistors with them back in the day. I am not an electrical DIY person, and don't really have any other information, sorry.

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 5
To my knowledge, germanium transistors are currently pretty hard to find at least in the states, and cost a bundle. The only place that appears to have a stockload of germanium transistors is Russia. I am not even sure if they are still being made here in the states, and if so the production is probably minimal. Yet in Russia the transistors appear to be plentiful and cheaper.

Craig from Eddie Current originally wanted to use germanium transistors for his EC-hybrid and EC-SS, but was not able to secure them from his partnership with Laconic. Laconic I believe currently uses germanium transistors in their solid state amp, I think they might have a hybrid too but I can't read russian so its hard.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 5
I haven't heard of these mic pre's you're talking about but basically germanium does NOT sound "clean" - the point of an headphone amplifier is to output the signal coming in modifying ONLY the amplitude. Mic pre's and fuzzboxes have clearly different purposes; they are often chosen specifically for their coloration.

Add to that the extreme unreliability and temperamentalness inherent in germanium - basically I don't think it's a good idea.

On the other hand if you are looking to make a fuzzface to jam out some Jimi/SRV...

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 5
I know a germanium transistor will color the sound, BUT.... think of it as a "grado" way of amping
biggrin.gif

I think it could be interesting. And while highend mic-pres surely color the sound, they also need to be as clear and transparent as possible, otherwise they'd be useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back