GERMAN MAESTRO GMP 400 , DENON AH5000, AKG Q701, ULTRASONE Pro900, SENNHEISER HD650
Dec 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 24
Sorry for the late reply.

Uh... the holes are not visible through the velvet... you have to look directly to the back side of the earpads...
To remove the earpads just put your fingers underneath the earpads and pull out gently until the plastic band of the earpads comes out of the cups frame.

What setup are you using with the GMP?
Have you read the PM I sent you about the mods?
Any question, shoot!

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.

Uh... the holes are not visible through the velvet... you have to look directly to the back side of the earpads...
To remove the earpads just put your fingers underneath the earpads and pull out gently until the plastic band of the earpads comes out of the cups frame.

What setup are you using with the GMP?
Have you read the PM I sent you about the mods?
Any question, shoot!

Hi , I managed to get the ear cups off ,a very tight fit though and they do not have holes on the back ,they have a solid back .

I use the Gmp with the setup in the pictures ,ie Graham slee solo srg2  pre-amped from a yamaha A2 dsp ,sounds great to me 
L3000.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 24
Well then it surprises me that you find the GMP 400 to have tight bass...
To my ears they sound fat and a bit flabby in the bass and a bit slow through all the FR with those stock earpads and unmodded.
They lack transparency in stock configuration because of the ridiculous damping and very lightweight enclosures.
If they already sound good to you, that's all that matters.

EDIT: I assume that you meant earpads and not earcups?...

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 24
What's the big secret re: the perforated earpads on the GMP 400? This is all very mysterious.

Nice review lucozade, thanks. Also, smart collection of headphones in my opinion.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Well then it surprises me that you find the GMP 400 to have tight bass...
To my ears they sound fat and a bit flabby in the bass and a bit slow through all the FR with those stock earpads and unmodded.
They lack transparency in stock configuration because of the ridiculous damping and very lightweight enclosures.
If they already sound good to you, that's all that matters.

EDIT: I assume that you meant earpads and not earcups?...

Yes i did mean the earpads lol .

I have to disagree about there sound with the stock earpads , i find them to be similar in sound quality and sound signature as the Q701 in many ways especially the bass which is not at all flabby or fat ,there is a little more mid/upper bass than the Q701 but not a huge difference ,not compared them directly for speed of the bass but i have no complaints and i would say they are  a little faster than the hd650.

Transparency and resolution is also very good to my mind ,not quite as good as the Q701 in the upper treble in my opinion ,but than again they are half the price but i may well experiment with your modification at some point down the line 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
What's the big secret re: the perforated earpads on the GMP 400? This is all very mysterious.

Nice review lucozade, thanks. Also, smart collection of headphones in my opinion.

I'll PM you the secret.
To my ears, the oval earpads are not the best match to the GMP 400, by the way.
The 41-6049 velour perforated or Beyer DT880 are better for higher transparency.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:

Yes i did mean the earpads lol .

I have to disagree about there sound with the stock earpads , i find them to be similar in sound quality and sound signature as the Q701 in many ways especially the bass which is not at all flabby or fat ,there is a little more mid/upper bass than the Q701 but not a huge difference ,not compared them directly for speed of the bass but i have no complaints and i would say they are  a little faster than the hd650.

Transparency and resolution is also very good to my mind ,not quite as good as the Q701 in the upper treble in my opinion ,but than again they are half the price but i may well experiment with your modification at some point down the line 
happy_face1.gif

Well, I guess I'm spoiled by my modded GMP then...
Upper treble extension and quality is, clearly, one of the areas of improvement assuming the driver damping is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back