German language help
Nov 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #16 of 28
LOL.
biggrin.gif

To Dutch speakers,

Ok, this is interesting. I guess the dutch word for "church" sounds like "Kircher" too? Because in Indonesian language, which took a lot of words from Dutch, the word "church" (gereja) sounds somewhat like "Kircher".

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 28
Oops, just found a mistake in my explanations..
Well you never really think about pronunciation and that sort of thing until you're asked
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a special case with Bach. If a vowel (except e and i) precedes the ch, as in Bach, the ch is pronounced as a throaty h (so that the h is not soundless, but with an audible flow of air).
Yeah I guess that's about it. Of course, there are even more special cases, but I don't want to go into detail now.. :p

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 28
Herzlich willkommen! (you're welcome in German)
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW herzlich is one of the special cases where the last ch is pronounced as ch and not as throaty h..
Just if somebody is interested..

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herzlich willkommen! (you're welcome in German)
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW herzlich is one of the special cases where the last ch is pronounced as ch and not as throaty h..
Just if somebody is interested..

I will always be interested, it's been too long since I learn a new language.
smily_headphones1.gif

Herzlich <- How do I pronounce this? H-e-ah-zlich?

Google says that the word means "cordially" in Englisch, I guess in the context it mean something like "yours sincerely"?

If I were to sign off a letter, can I use words like this?

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the dutch word for "church" sounds like "Kircher" too? Because in Indonesian language, which took a lot of words from Dutch, the word "church" (gereja) sounds somewhat like "Kircher".

The Dutch word for church is kerk. 2 k's.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will always be interested, it's been too long since I learn a new language.
smily_headphones1.gif

Herzlich <- How do I pronounce this? H-e-ah-zlich?

Google says that the word means "cordially" in Englisch, I guess in the context it mean something like "yours sincerely"?

If I were to sign off a letter, can I use words like this?

Yes pronunciation is correct
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the meaning is "you're welcome" (direct translation: cordially welcome, but welcome is always used with herzlich).
For signing off a letter you would typically write Viele/Herzliche/Schöne Grüße.

May 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 28
I knew two people who were german and they spoke remarkably different.
I as in me:
One said Ish as in Ishtar
The other pronounced it as in Ick as in you have an icky feeling.
I was born in Austria, and until I was 5 years old all I could speak was German.
Now my German is basically non-existent as I think in English.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #28 of 28
Austrian here, so I speak German (usually in a really bad Austrian dialect though, heh).

feNcheL, there's actually a third pronunciation: Sch-eh-mi.

If you want to hear how people pronounce those words I can recommend: dict.cc - just click the speaker icon for the words. For some words there are multiple recordings with different pronunciations.

edit: sorry for resurrecting this somewhat older thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back