Gepco Wire replacement for Koss Portapro 25th ann.
Oct 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Megaohmz

Head-Fier
I was wondering if others had a similar outcome of using some Gepco D72401EZ thin profile, dual pair balanced audio cable and Neutrik Mini TRS. The TRS is nickel plated brass. It doesn't matter what headphones you used this wire on, just if you notices some similar effects of the wire.

I replaced the wire after having these headphones for over a year and the wire broke by the gland at the TRS. I figured this would happen since the gland is pretty stiff. I disassembled the phones and de-soldered the old wire and then soldered in place the new Gepco wire. The wire soldered pretty easily, but I was surprised to see that the mini TRS was using the drain wire as a ground exclusively. The black wire is not used in the setup. 

By the way I bought the wire from Have inc. and had to cut off the RCA connectors, but I will use them in the future for something else. I guess Have inc wanted to use the drain wire as a ground since this is a patch cable designed for connecting mp3 players to stereos.

I believe the unique sound qualities I experienced are due to the fact the drain wire (shielding) was used as a ground. I noticed the bass from all of my music is much different now. I was pretty surprised how much different it is now. It seems much less punchy, and not as loud and boomy and quieter, compared to the mids and highs. The mids have a brand new life of their own as well. The detail and separation was increased and very apparent the second day of getting used to the sound, and listening to several different types of music, like Red Hot CPs, Primus, Megadeth, The Beatles, Obituary, The Mars Volta. The upper freqs are glassy and much more detailed than before with the old wire. 

Nonetheless I was pretty shocked to see such a big difference, I was expecting much less of a change. These are the headphones I use the most and I use them to remaster my FLAC files to convert them for use on my PSP, so I am pretty familiar where they stand in how they sound with the old wire vs. the new Gepco. The gepco wire is pretty strong and it should last for a long time.  

I am actually pretty happy with the changes, since I am liking the new detail brought out in the mids and highs. I am a little disappointed in the bass being quieter, since I spent a lot of time getting the balance right every time I remaster. But the bass sounds better, less boomy and soft. The bass has a good crispness to it now.

So again has anyone used this particular wire at all, and if you did what changes happened to you.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back