george foreman lean grill
Mar 3, 2007 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Headphoneus Supremus
so i got a geroge foreman grill as a gift...
made mahi-mahi fillets last night which were ok...the fish was nice and dry with the juices running off into the fat collector....but i am not a huge fish fan so i couldnt really tell the difference..
tonight was the litmus test..
a freshly bought rib eye steak from the butcher...into the grill it went
1) did not make as much delicious aroma as i expect when grilling a steak..thus dampening the anticipation factor -2 points
2)the fat on the rib eye was not sufficiently crisped despite the highest setting of 400f and leaving it in the grill -2points
3)nice sear marks +1 point
4)taste-horrible....what a waste of meat...i actually felt bad that a cow how to die for this...sheesh...a quarter pounder with cheese is more satisfying...-11 points

so there is the blow by blow..perhaps the grill is only good for chicken and burger and dogs and like...it definately did not do steak justice...i will use the weber for that from now on...so overall, was disappointed in the george foreman grill after hearing all the rave reviews...
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 23
Which review said that it would make great steaks? Just using my intuition, I would not thing they would make great steaks and probably won't even try to do that.

I have one of these grills, and I only use them to make hamburgers...

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one in my closet, I have no idea how it got there.

hahaah...as in it was so bad it went into the closet or you kust dont know where you picked one up at?
george got like 50 million or so because of his name association...crazy

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which review said that it would make great steaks? Just using my intuition, I would not thing they would make great steaks and probably won't even try to do that.

I have one of these grills, and I only use them to make hamburgers...

probably all the reciped for steaks in the user manual and the table in the manual that listed what temps to cook different cuts of steak perhaps was the reason i thought it might be similar to an outdoor grill..but i think this is just a burger/hot dog grill
edit-
reviews wise it was just friends raving about it..but now i think either they never owned one or just make dogs with it

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 23
LOL!!!

I have one and use it periodically. I like it for Bacon!! Its a little slow, ~20 minutes, and you have to watch it or it will burn. I use it outside on the picnic table so i dont grease out the kitchen. But the fat runs out the bottom and you can collect it to pan fry your eggs and hash-browns.

Its awful for steaks and even burgers to some degree. it squashes all the juice out. One bone DRY slab o'red meat is the result. Doesn't seem to make a difference what cut of angus you grill too. However, if I were on a strict fat-free diet (heaven forbid) and its either foreman's meat machine or broccoli and rabbit feed... I'd take big george 9/10 times.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Office-TheInjury.png

"Is that the same grill you burned your foot on"

"No...yes"

"Oh gross"

eggosmile.gif

I love my Foreman (I mean for $20 I love it). I pretty much use it just for grilled cheese or hamburgers (which don't taste very good) since I don't have a real BBQ at my apartment. Steak on Foreman thats so wrong
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaah...as in it was so bad it went into the closet or you kust dont know where you picked one up at?
george got like 50 million or so because of his name association...crazy

No, I really have no idea where it came from, I never bought it that's for sure.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 23
Because the temp maxes out at 400, it is unsuitable for steaks and other fine meats that you need higher heat (500 +) to seal the outside and keep juices in. You need even higher temps to get that "crisped" texture you want.

The Foreman grill is a silly gimmick. Use a pan or an outdoor grill.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 23
So they are that bad?

Because I was thinking to get one when it's on special. But if it really ruins the steak, I will pass then. The thing is, I am using el crappy electric stove, so the heat is never hot enough to cook certain type of food properly.

If I pan friend my steak, with max heat, in order to brown the outside, I have to wait for awhile and when it's browned, the inside of the steak is so cooked and dry already. What a crapty oven.

So do you think the George Foreman griller is the same thing?

Or maybe I should look for other griller?

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 23
They are quite good for cooking sausages in. But not better than a pan, and frankly, cleaning the damn things is a difficult and unpleasant task. Like the toastie maker, the waffle iron, the smoothie machine and the electric ice crusher, you use it to make everything you eat for 2 days, then consign it to the tops of the kitchen cabinets until doomsday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back