Genesis Box Set Opinions?
Aug 16, 2007 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I’m considering purchasing the 1976 – 1982 Genesis box set and would like to solicit opinions / experiences with the available package options.

As I understand it, the box sets and the constituent albums can be purchased in various formats.
•Box set with red book CDs & DVD-V (NTSC) counterparts with bonus discs
•Box set with hybrid SACD / CD & DVD-V (NTSC) counterparts with bonus discs
•Individual albums but no bonus disc(s)

Back in the 1970s, I was a huge Genesis fan until Gabriel’s and Hackett’s departures and Phil’s pop star ambitions functionally killed what it was that made the band special in the first place. To be fair by 1980, most of the prog rockers had called it quits or were uncomfortably attempting to morph to fit changing musical tastes.

In my opinion, everything after Duke was throwaway at best and execrable at worst (guess I won’t pre-order the second set!).

I own standard red-book copies of Trick, Wind, and Abacab (a gift!). I listen to Duke on vinyl occasionally and wouldn’t mind having a digital version to use at work or in the car. Three, well that is just different!

I’ve seen a lot of ink spilled on the sound quality of this set. Some say the sound is strident, others say detailed. You say tomato and so on. I have a Pioneer DV-563A universal player so any of the formats are playable. I also have a Rega Apollo for top shelf red book playback. I do not have a surround set-up so this is not a consideration.

So here is my question: If I choose to buy the entire box set, s it worth the extra money (about $60) to get the SACD set and is the 2 channel sound either so bad or not a good enough jump from standard red book to justify the outlay?

Steve

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 3
Man I was looking forward to this box set for months and pre-ordered the SACD/PAL (amazon UK didn't now about the SACD NTSC at the time) set. It finally arrived, and I was very disappointed.

You've read the reviews so I won't go on.

If surround isn't a current or future option for you, I see no reason to spring extra for the SACD's other than maybe future re-sale value if that's something important to consider. High rez can't polish a turd, only magnify it.

That is my 2 bits.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 3
The new CD layers are mixed hot. I prefer the older releases (and you can get them cheap on Ebay).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back