Generic "Recommendations for <$100 Earphones?" thread
Dec 3, 2008 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Brood_Star

New Head-Fier
Reposting here since I guess it's more pertinent

A list of what I'm eyeing at the moment.

jvc marshmallow $22. Don't know if I can kramer mod seeing as I'll have no foam
soundmagic pl30 $26
yuin pk3 $40
bijou 2 $60
j-jays $70 total including shipping and taxes
nuforce ne-8 $60 + $10-12 according to amazon
klipsch custom 1 iem $80 "free shipping"
ue super.fi 3 $78 + $7 shipping
er6i $90 + $7 shipping
westone um1 $110 free shipping

I'd rather not spend more than $60, so I'm eyeing the PK3's. However, if the SQ jump is big for an extra $20-40, I'll go for it. That said, the Klipsch look like a good deal for $80. Anyone also have any suggestions on how the NuForce (NE7 even) stack up against the er6i/superfi's/um1's and which one is the best? Leanining towards the er6i in the ~90 price range

As for my musical taste, I listen to a variety of stuff. Rap, different electronic genres, rock, pop, classical/jazz... probably looking for an "all-rounder" with emphasis on mid/treble. I'd rather something more than just a one-trick-bass-pony though

Sidenote: Anyone know any sites that ship to Canada via USPS? Much appreciated

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 14
You can get rebranded UE Super.fi 3s for $39.99 through Buy.com or Buy.com's Ebay site (currently on sale).

The rebranded model is the Altec Lansing UHP336

I own a pair of these and they sound excellent at that price point --- considering they're half the price of the UE Super.fi 3s for basically the same stuff, just different casing labels.

I'm still waiting on my NE-8s to arrive, then I'll post a review as soon as possible.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 14
Supposedly these are rebadged UE super.fi.3's. Altec Lansing UHP336

From what I've read, the specs are the same as the UE's. And the price is pretty good. Just adding to your list.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 14
JBuds J2 (Amazon.com, buy one get one free until December 15th when you send your Amazon receipt to JBuds, see JBuds thread) in 12 different colors. Supposed to sound slightly better than the PL-30, and at $25, getting two of them at that sound quality that cheap is just great. I'm ordering a few myself for stocking stuffers.
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 14
If I were you I'd go for the super.fi 3s. When I had them I really enjoyed them more than my shure e4cs. They are definitely a great value.

Just my $.02

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 14
yeah if you take a look at the links one retailer is earphonesolutions

so real question is which out of the list is the best "bang for your buck"?

how do the pk3's compare to the $100 iem stuff?

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 14
okay come closer to a decision

is it true that the er6i's sound "lifeless" and are "too bright"?

i'm thinking of purchasing the super.fi's for $50-60

i like my bass there but i'd guess i like bright better

so in summary

pk3
superfi 3
er6i
nuforce
klipsch custom 1 (good deal mind you)

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Hey, I'm also to to dip my feet in good sounding IEMs but I really have a dilemma.......which one to buy!?

There are some that I like: Shure 110 (or maybe 210 but I have heard that there's no difference), Heins 300X, the new apple IEM, Bose triports or UE Super.Fi 4.

I would really like to stick to IEMs and to my sub 150$ budget.

I would really like your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back