generic question about source + phones
Apr 21, 2004 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daveman_84

100+ Head-Fier
I've noticed a lot of people say they have or would like to get a standalone cd player, headphone amp, and headphones. So no real amp or receiver is needed for this setup? Pardon my ignorance, it just seems strange at first. What happens then if you wanted to connect real speakers, the headphone amp wouldn't be enough, right?

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 9
The headphone amp would power only the headphones, yes. You don't need a receiver for this..a standalone amp (or integrated amp) does really 1 job only. Some have multiple inputs and switching, crossfeed, etc.

True, if you *wanted* speakers, you'd have to split the signal of the source's output, and this could cause problems, or if you wanted more than 1 source.

A receiver is usually just a device containing a source selector, FM tuner, phono preamp, dolby processing and digital inputs (in newer models), and an amplifier all in one.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 9
For some players, such as my CE775, it has a 6-channel output (5.1) for surround sound speakers and another 2-channel output. If you want a complete system, you would connect to the 2-channel output to the headphone amp, and the 6-channel output to a receiver.

Typically receivers aren't too great of an amp either, so you might even want to get monoblock amps (one for each speaker)... to get that ultimate sound... that's a lot of $$$
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
If you want a complete system, you would connect to the 2-channel output to the headphone amp

What do you mean by complete? And do you mean connect the headphones to the headphone amp or speakers to the headphone amp?

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Complete means you don't need anything else to hear headphone.
A complete headphone setup:
CD/DVD player's output 1 -> headphone amp -> headphone (COMPLETE)

A complete audio/speaker setup:
CD/DVD player's output 2 (5.1 channel or optical)->receiver->speakers (COMPLETE)

Using 2-channel output and 5.1 channel output, you can complete both your headphone and speaker system.

Notice you can include DAC/signal processor between CD/DVD to headphone amp as an option.

-Mike

[edit: spelling]

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks. I did not realize a simple headphone amp was enough to power a standalone CD player. And thanks for making my wallet thinner and thinner.

Another question. I am running my 555's out of a shelf system right now. They power them fine. Do you think I'd find a drastic improvement in sound quality with a standalone CD player + amp?

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

And thanks for making my wallet thinner and thinner.

My pleasure... revenge is so sweet. Although I started head-fying around late 1980's with pair of Sony MDR-V6, others made me spend more money recently. Plus some amps are bigger and weight MORE than CD/DVD player. Some vacuum tube ones weighs around 50 lbs, yikes!

Quote:

Another question. I am running my 555's out of a shelf system right now. They power them fine. Do you think I'd find a drastic improvement in sound quality with a standalone CD player + amp?

Yes there will be some improvement. Honestly, it probably won't be drastically better. You gotta make your own call if spending extra hundreds will be worth to you or not.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmm.. just so we have all the syntax in the right place.. a headphone amp doesn't power the "cd player".. the cd player powers itself, the headphone amp powers the headphone... and nothing else.

Other receivers and mono-block amp components power the speakers, with is completely separate from the components that goes to power the headphone.

As far as whether or not headphone amps will effect the performance of your HD555.. it should, as long as you have something high quality enough to show you that it does. As well as a source that's good extract enough detail to make it really shine.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Hmm.. just so we have all the syntax in the right place.. a headphone amp doesn't power the "cd player".. the cd player powers itself, the headphone amp powers the headphone... and nothing else.

Other receivers and mono-block amp components power the speakers, with is completely separate from the components that goes to power the headphone.

As far as whether or not headphone amps will effect the performance of your HD555.. it should, as long as you have something high quality enough to show you that it does. As well as a source that's good extract enough detail to make it really shine.

That's what I meant, power the headphones. I'm not sure what I plan on doing just yet; I'm trying to set up a turntable too...my summer job better pay well!
tongue.gif

Thanks for the tips guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back