Generic Power Chord vs expensive?
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Depends on who you ask.

In the physical world, there is no difference between a decent generic power cable and an expensive one that affects the sound quality of a decent audio electronic equipment. In the audiophile world, many people believe they can hear a difference. If you ask them, they'd tell you expensive cables most certainly make a difference, it's simply not possible to measure it.

In my opinion, expensive power cables are cable manufacturers' way of redistributing wealth. You can make up your own mind.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 6
High end tube amps in my experience are the only components that really benefit from different types of power cables. It has nothing to do with how much you spend it has to do with gauge sizes. You can get some cheap connectors and get some custom lengths of bulk 10, 12, 14 gauge wire from your local hardware store and see what sounds best for your equipment. Try them all out. This will net you the best result rather than spending lots of money on a power cord that isn't even optimal for your equipment. Also, stay away from any power cables that are shielded (all of the "audio" power cords on amazon). Shielding increases capacitance/impedance on the wire and will starve your equipment of the power that it needs, especially on amps. The sounds stage will shrink.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Im using the WireWorld Aurora 7 on my GSX Mini and Denafrips Ares 2 and i really recommend them. In terms of sound its the most benefit you get for switching things like cables. It dosent change the sound signuture, just ad a bit more body and space to it without beeing thin or unrealistic. Its a really nice upgrade i dont wanna miss and it changes my mind about Power Cables in general. But yeah the changes are not night and day. The sound you looking for just gets better with these.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 6
It is simply not the case that there are no differences that can be measured between power cables or that they don't make a difference. You can refer to some of the white papers at Shunyata for articles on measurable differences. And you can simply use your ears to hear a difference. Most cable deniers simply haven't done any real research and certainly haven't done any careful listening.

https://shunyata.com/technology/

Now having said that, cables can be exorbitantly expensive and unless you system is already pretty dialed in they might not be a great place to spend a ton of money.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Just the other day i had a play about with this. Remembered i had a cable i made up a while back with some Mark Grant screened cable (guessing Belden, stiff as hell), silver MK thrown on it with busmann fuse and whatever IEC. Tested this vs a stock kettle lead on my 394ii and for whatever reason the difference was clearly audible. Just ordered a few MCRU no.75's / one for each box, cheap enough, good quality hardware / cable without spending silly money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back