Generic Ear Tip Mod
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
Years ago I came across a set of silicon earplugs at a pharmacy. I was rather intrigued by it. I had no particular reason to buy it especially at SGD$10 a pack. Yesterday I chanced upon it again, and decided to use it to make a custom tip.

The earplugs are pliable and can be molded. They have a tacky feel to it. I can't get a good fit with UE tips, and at the moment I'm using audio-technica's smallest tip with the SF3. I used a small portion of silicon, wrapped it around the SF3 tips, molding it into a conical shape. Care was taken to ensure that the silicon does not enter the sound tube (if it does, I think it shouldn't be an issue. Cleaning tool can be used to remove it).

The fit was much better than the audio-technica's tip. Plus the tackiness of the silicon, it adheres well also. A tighter fit can be obtained by slow and incremental twisting with pressure.

I can't say for sure if it is a good idea to leave the silicon on the acrylic (PMMA, I think) sound tube. I doubt there will be any material reaction between these 2 polymers. The silicon can be removed cleanly.

It helps a little for me, but the large sound tube of UE products can't fit my narrow ear canals well.

(Pardon me if I got any terms wrong. Also I'm quite new to using Flickr in posting images, just created the account to share.)

Images are blurry, using HP cam.

Image236 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Image237 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Image239 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Image238 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Interesting.

I worry about the silicon holding on to the nozzle, however. It seems like it might slide off. Also, won't the silicon material be all pushed to the back after you insert them into your ears a couple times? You'd need to remold it a lot.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi, it doen't slip off the IEM because it is tacky. But you're right, it has to be remolded like complys. It just gets slightly bunched up. It's slightly softer than blue-tack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back