Generation change at headfi?
Aug 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us "silverbacks from 2004 or earlier" are still left.
smily_headphones1.gif

But its true that there are far between us than some months back. probably because of a least two reasons:
* They have found their "nirvana" and have no need for Head-Fi anymore.
* They have gotten tired of the general tone and development of the forum. It has changed from a serious forum where well informed members discussed mid-/high-fi headphones, to a forum where newbies bash around asking all these "What is the BEST iPod 'phone for $50", "What is the BEST mp3 player", "BEST whatever..." threads.

I've never been a frequent poster, mostly I just read and listen, but I have to say that I do grow tired of reading thread after thread of what is basically the same set of questions. I know everyone wants a tailor made answer, but at the same time if there's post asking which $100 phones to pair with an iPod then I don't think there needs to be another thread asking what 110 dollars phones should be paired with an iPod nano.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

I tried posting my opinion in this thread and it was removed, so is it any wonder why I don't bother posting much?

That's odd because I just looked through the entire thread and don't see any deleted posts showing. Deleted posts can be seen by the moderating staff and there are none in this thread. Are you certain your "try" was successful and didn't somehow get glitched? People might not believe this, but some have a tendency to automatically assume the worst all the time.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #48 of 72
Regarding the search function.
Before I became a member, I did a lot of searching, using the search function. Which was a very frustrating experience.
Because so many threads will show up, that you need a daytime to go through them all.
It's when I discoverd searching in google with .... site:head-fi.org, that searching became a useful tool.
I can imagine that newcomers are asking questions in the forum, instead of going through all those threads.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's odd because I just looked through the entire thread and don't see any deleted posts showing. Deleted posts can be seen by the moderating staff and there are none in this thread. Are you certain your "try" was successful and didn't somehow get glitched? People might not believe this, but some have a tendency to automatically assume the worst all the time.

Look again, I've already confirmed with a moderator that it was removed along with several other (appropriately removed) posts. It was there for over an hour so yes, the post was successful. I don't question why some were taken down since they violated policy, but mine was lumped in with a group where it did not belong. In this case, someone else was assuming the worst about what I was trying to say. If you or anyone else would like to discuss this further I'm sure it would be better handled via PM.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look again, I've already confirmed with a moderator that it was removed along with several other (appropriately removed) posts. It was there for over an hour so yes, the post was successful. I don't question why some were taken down since they violated policy, but mine was lumped in with a group where it did not belong. In this case, someone else was assuming the worst about what I was trying to say. If you or anyone else would like to discuss this further I'm sure it would be better handled via PM.

agreed. this should all be done via PM. including the initial accusation of deletion.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed. this should all be done via PM. including the initial accusation of deletion.

Thanks for agreeing and padding your post count, newb.
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...site:head-fi.org...

x2. I rarely use the head-fi search function.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The banal 'what's the best xxx for $xxx are still legitimate but using serch would cut down the number of those substantially. Rehashing the same thing over and over gets old really fast as everyone knows. This is where newer members take up the slack as the older ones become more jaded.

---

This place has massive quantities of useful stuff in it, sifting through all the crap to find it can be a challenge.

---

Let's face it, we're just more impatient now
tongue.gif

I've thought about and tried to post threads like these:
[Archive] Your 'Go-to' Headphone Listings
but it just gets largely ignored.

Other than that I agree with the fact that the forums have so much reading material. I have swabs of saved thread pages in my documents' head-fi folder. They are quite hard to find though. Especially those 'I read that once in an x thread somewhere' moments... A few of the pages I saved took me half-an-hour or more to find because they more than half a decade old!

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #54 of 72
It's an inevitable effect of being successful. You have a stellar forum full of intelligent discussion and people that really know their stuff. Then, the word spreads, and all of a sudden you get an influx of new members. That's not necessarily a bad thing, until the influx turns into a flood and you become mainstream. Then, you get a ton of kids coming in who bring their own massively distended epeens and fragile egos with them, and all of a sudden, the place turns out to be exactly what it is right now.

The only way to stem the tide is with some seriously totalitarian moderation. But, that is bound to alienate a huge chunk of the community. So, you have two choices really... turn the place into a country club (which, incidentally, some of the best forums I go to are), or you have this.

It's the natural result of success. You start as a self-made man that earned your fortune, and then your kids leech off that fortune and grow up weak. Well, this is the same thing, online-forum-wise.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the natural result of success. You start as a self-made man that earned your fortune, and then your kids leech off that fortune and grow up weak. Well, this is the same thing, online-forum-wise.

I respect your post but... where did THAT come from?
ph34r.gif

Can you please explain your reasoning behind that?

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Look again, I've already confirmed with a moderator that it was removed along with several other....

My apologies. At the time of making that post I had visited the site through a different work computer which didn't have the cookie that automatically logs me in with moderator status. I was unknowingly looking at the thread as a guest, so the deleted threads didn't show.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

It's an inevitable effect of being successful. You have a stellar forum full of intelligent discussion and people that really know their stuff. Then, the word spreads, and all of a sudden you get an influx of new members. That's not necessarily a bad thing, until the influx turns into a flood and you become mainstream. Then, you get a ton of kids coming in who bring their own massively distended epeens and fragile egos with them, and all of a sudden, the place turns out to be exactly what it is right now.

The only way to stem the tide is with some seriously totalitarian moderation. But, that is bound to alienate a huge chunk of the community. So, you have two choices really... turn the place into a country club (which, incidentally, some of the best forums I go to are), or you have this.

That's one of the most actute observations I've ever seen here.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #59 of 72
Thea "death" of head-fi was when the servers went out for a couple days/weeks. After that, people realized there were other things out there besides headphones. *gasp*

But like any forum or hobby, there will always be a generation change. And more often than not, it's usually something like changing servers, the servers going out, or 1-3 key members leaving, and it's a domino effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back