General Portable Amp
Oct 14, 2007 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Csi

Head-Fier
I am looking to pick up a portable amp but intend to use in my home rig as well.

Home rig: Chaintech Av-710 -> Mcm toslink cable -> benchmark dac-1 -> some amp -> Sennheiser hd650

The primary use of the amp will be in my "in-the-works" portable setup but again am looking for something that will have synergy with the 650's.

My portable source at the moment is a second generation iPod shuffle. I plan on getting an IEM and will in all likely hood end up with a super.fi5 EB. Eventually perhaps upgrade up to westone 3, but obviously they are not out and thus planning for a complimentary amp seems a little far fetched. If westone 3's don't cut it then i'll probable spring for se530's or something in that range. So at the moment I would prefer to spend as little as possible on IEMs because I definitely plan on upgrading to a higher level. Super.fi5 eb seem to fit well with my musical tastes.

I listen to mostly hip-hop, rap, rock, alternative and i do listen occasionally to some electronica, pop, random movie intrumentals. I am looking for an amp with one of its main strengths, in its reproduction of bass. I don't have a clear sense of budget but based upon people's reviews (i also have relied a lot on Skylab's excellent amp thread) that I will get a RSA Hornet or a Meier Audio Move.

Anyway my question is it too much overkill to have a shuffle send its signal to one of the listed and then have that drive a super.fi5 extended bass? Since I plan or at least hope to upgrade later this question just is a matter of finding out the timing of when I should get the amp. Now or later.

From the people who own hd650's how do the amps compliment the cans? Better yet for those who have my home rig setup, how has your particular amp added to your audio experience?

This coming question is a bit vague, I am having difficulty expressing my thoughts.
As a general amp question, for amps known to be bass friendly (impact, power, extension, definition, tightness, etc. etc.) how do they effect cans? More specifically in a general sense if a set of cans lacked bass and were paired with a bass amp are the qualities gained, greater because of the can's deficiencies? or do can's that already have the same attributes as the amp get the most (doubling effect)? or are the marginal gains of quality stopping
I'll give an example.

Say we have can A:
treble:6
bass: 3

Can B:
treble :4
bass: 7

Amp:
bass:6

Now when the can and amp are paired, which situation is more accurate?'
Situation 1:
can A amp combination
treble: 6

Can B amp combination
treble: 4
bass: 9

So in this situation the bass increased more for can A because can B's bass was already solid and it is like a marginal gain situation.

Situation 2:
Can A amp combination
treble 6

can B amp combination
treble: 4
bass:13

In this situation can B had higher absolute gains because it had a higher base.

I hope this makes sense?.....haha

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 6
^ anybody?

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 6
A 2nd gen shuffle is going to be your portable source?

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 6
....is that really bad? This probably sounds pretty stupid but I just figured the difference in sizes of other ipods was due to increased potential hard-drive capacities. I figured power would be relatively the same?

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....is that really bad? This probably sounds pretty stupid but I just figured the difference in sizes of other ipods was due to increased potential hard-drive capacities. I figured power would be relatively the same?

Eh, gen 2 isn't as highly regarded as gen 1. Plus shuffle doesn't offer lossless. It pairs fine with low/mid end IEMs but isn't really suited for something like "3"s. A nice portable system for the "3"s would be like:
Nano 3rd gen -> ALO -> Tomahawk -> "3"s. ~1000$ too. Not bad for one of the highest-fidelity portable systems available.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, gen 2 isn't as highly regarded as gen 1. Plus shuffle doesn't offer lossless. It pairs fine with low/mid end IEMs but isn't really suited for something like "3"s. A nice portable system for the "3"s would be like:
Nano 3rd gen -> ALO -> Tomahawk -> "3"s. ~1000$ too. Not bad for one of the highest-fidelity portable systems available.

Yup, he needs that - see my setup and it sounds great - just waiting for the Westone 3's to come out... As a Bonus the TH seems to be able to drive my HD600's in high gain mode too.

c700_tomahawk_nano3g.jpg

c700_tomahawk_nano3g_eurotrip.jpg

If price is an issue, a PenguinAmp compares quite well to my TH for sound, has high and low gain, bass boost switch, and is under $79 shipped, but is in a mint-tin case and fits a larger full size iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back