General orientation advice for digital camera
Jan 14, 2004 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pierre Lambion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I will finally get my first digital camera. My old very cheap and basic APS camera is almost not used but a second kid comming this spring is a good motivation!

I want to keep it cheap (around $300-$400) and I'm unsure about what kind of camera to go for:

A/ very slim 4megs with 3x zoom like a Canon Ixus or similar
B/ heavier 3 to 4 megs with a 6 to 10 zoom like some Minolta D-Image (I think)

I will probably still be the basic point and shooter for family pictures, but more features and more control is appealing.

My current non digital camera has no zoom. This is quite a limitation. I have no experience of zoom and of its usefulness. I 3x good enough. Is a 6x or 10x usefull if one does not use a support?

A smaller (3x zoom) cameras might get more usage ... being more frequently in the pocket rather than at home!

Also, what is the sturdiness of those cameras? I saw the small telescopic zoom of the Ixus and got the feeling the life expectancy might be low ...

Specific recommandations are welcome but I'm first interested in overall advice and considerationa bout the zoom usefulness.

Thanks in advance,
P.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Pierre Lambion
A smaller (3x zoom) cameras might get more usage ... being more frequently in the pocket rather than at home!

^^He^^ doesn't ship outside USA

You should get something you're going to use, a big factor. Optical zoom is the important one, 3x is better than none and digital zoom should be avoided for zooming IMO. What kind of memory they use is another factor and definitely get some decent rechargable batteries.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 24
Thx for the hint. I'm in Europe, so not much of a possibility to me. But I take notice of the accumulating cost of accessories.

By the way, I would prefer a camera using normal AA batteries rather than slim ones. Of course this will enlarge the size but I'm willing to accept it.

P.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 24
Pierre: I can only encourage you to go into a shop and lay your hands on the thingies yourself - because I found quite a few models to have suboptimal handling: too slippery cases, unevenly distributed weight, bad button placement (so you can't reach the shoot button and the zoom controls and once, while still having a firm grip on the cam...) et cetera. Personally, I'd recommend the Canon's Digital Ixus 400 for good quality in a very small case and good handling - or, if you don't mind "only" 3.1 Mpix, the Nikon Coolpix 3100 is a bit bigger and more plasticky, but to me it looks really cute, and it offers good picture quality as well as superior handling (I've performed a handling test with three hand sizes and also two sizes of left hands for the last digicam test with my last employer...). Both are using CF media, btw, but afair only the Nikon came with standard AA cells...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 14, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 24
I agree with lini having a Nikon myself. They do have excellent optics and take AA. Personally I would do pricing research on the net and then go to a local dealer. Tell them that you don't expect to get it as cheap but would rather support your local shop. If you develop problems, they can take care of you. When I had a problem after a few weeks with my first brand of camera LCD going crazy, the local dealer let me replace it on the spot with the Nikon.

Jan 14, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 24
For a lot of people who (much like you, I suppose) would be well served with fairly basic features size should be a main criteria. The smaller that thing is the more likely you are to just grab it and carry it along, which is great, 'cause you need it most when you didn't expect it. 3 megapix and 3x zoom (optical!) should be good enough for that. And when it comes to size the Casio Exilim EX-Z3 (or Z4 for 4 megapix) (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioexz3/) is the best right now. It's a lot smaller than all the Canon Ixus. I know the Exilim first hand and like it a lot. The basic features one needs in a tiny package. It doesn't use AA batteries, though.

Just my two cents (€).
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 24
I got my girlfriend a Canon S50 for Christmas. It might be out of your price range (seems to be about $450 average), but it is probably perfect for your needs: it's a 5 megapixel point-and-shoot (with a nice zoom), but it has lots of manual features - so it's a little more "in-depth" than your average point-and-shoot camera.

- Chris

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 24
Pierre, this site might be good for getting some information on digital photo & stuff
wink.gif

http://tele.mac.free.fr/

I would advise you to get a Minolta Dimage XT - it has a x3 zoom non-telescopical.

Digital zoom doesn't mean anything, you won't want to use it since it increases pixelisation.

5 Mpix might be good if you want to print pics to A0 (or any other poster-size formats), but, if you want to print postcard sized pics, a 2 Mpix camera is perfect (I print pics made with a 1,55 Mpix camera to postcart size and it's OK).

You better get a FNAC catalogue (they are also online) and read a bit on the comparisons they make between different cameras. Then go to the B&M FNAC and, as lini said, "feel" the cameras. Then order the one you choosed from pixmania.fr!
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 24
Here´s the best link I´ve found for digital camera reviews:

www.dpreview.com

I wish there was something like this online for audio equipment. The reviews are incredibly comprehensive, almost a book each one. At the end there´s usually a "Conclusion" chapter that tells you how recommended each camera is.

I second the suggestion to go get your hands on the cameras, you may even change your target budget as I did. Because of trying the cameras with my own hands, instead of a Canon cigarete-box-looking model I went for the Canon Powershot G3. A bigger, more expensive model, but it's such an awesome camera, has many pro features and gives lots of control, plus it has 4x optical zoom, and it´s a big lens, lots of light, and I can hold this camera very comfortably with my relatively long fingers and hands. Extremely happy with it. Once you get your hands in the cameras you may even change or rediscover your preferences and priorities, same as in audio. Good luck in the hunt!

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by greenhorn
Optical zoom doesn't mean anything, you won't want to use it since it increases pixelisation.

Greenhorn I think you must have meant "digital" zoom, not optical. The digital zoom does increase pixelisation, not the optical one.

Jan 14, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I got my girlfriend a Canon S50 for Christmas. It might be out of your price range (seems to be about $450 average), but it is probably perfect for your needs: it's a 5 megapixel point-and-shoot (with a nice zoom), but it has lots of manual features - so it's a little more "in-depth" than your average point-and-shoot camera.

I have the S45 predecessor -- I love it. For my needs (and most people who like to have some control over the photo, I think), this is a perfect camera line.

Jan 14, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 24
I'd also put in a plug for the Canon S50. I've had mine for about 6 months and find it very flexible. If you've ever used a Canon SLR, you control it in much the same way. It can be as simple as a P&S but can also function with apeture or shutter priority, even a full manual mode if you want. My only complaint is the shutter lag but that's common to most all digital cameras except some of the new Digital SLRs. If you have a Canon printer or a printer that supports PictBridge technology you don't even need a computer to make prints.

I recently saw it somewhere on the web for $399 so it shouldn't blow your budget to much. You will need to factor in a bigger compact flash card and spare battery. The leather holster style case that straps to your belt is pretty nice way to carry it around.

Jan 14, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 24
The Ixus (aka Elph) is a GREAT series of camera. I cannot recommend Canon enough. I started out on an Ixus 330, and now am on a S30... with many other Ixus and A-series bought for family and friends along the way

Their (IXUS) size is a huge convenience... but now Olympus and Pentax and other manufacturer have good offerings as well

If you want a bit more control (like me), look at the S45 and S50.

One of the biggest things Canons have going is their really intuitive controls and menus.

I personally hate Sony cams, dont like Nikons (its like a grado vs sennheiser kind of thing
biggrin.gif
... because both are good in their own rights)... stay away from Kodak, HP, Vivitar, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back