general consensus on SI T-amp??
Jul 4, 2006 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ssingh0

500+ Head-Fier
After the insignia speakers find, I looked around for impressions on the T-amp. I don't have a speaker amp and need to find one for the insignia's.

Initial impressions said these were giant killers. Many months have passed since, and I searched through long-term impressions here, and on audioasylum. The biggest criticism is that it doesn't have the current to drive all speakers (even with many SET speakers).

The initial 6moons review was really good, but the second review of the super t is more critical, and mentions the current issue.

So, am I better off spending $200-300 bucks on an amp (maybe used even), rather than shedding cash for this and missing many hours of better audio reproduction?

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Check these out for a very modest cost...Search over, well, at any of the audio BBs...@ $99.00 they're a steal @ 30watts w/THREE chanels!!! Works great with my Klispch fronted by a Bottlehead foreplay for extra bass and the creamyness of tubes!

Needledoctor is where I got mine!

Back to the melodys;-}

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 7
T-Amp cost should be considered as the cost of a T-Amp + the cost of a regulated power supply for it. This will be somewhere ~ $70-80 total.

The T-Amp is good as long as you can live with the limitations. You either need to have efficent speakers (> 90 dB), like to listen at low volumes, or be using the speakers in nearfield (~ 1m away) configuration. Preferably all three. Otherwise, dynamics will suffer as the T-Amp just doesn't have that much power.

Measurement wise, they have some LF roll off and some HF peakiness. The LF rolloff isn't an issue with bookshelves, more than likely, they won't extend that low, but many show up in bass heavy floorstanders. The treble peakiness is very high up (>16 kHz) and very minor, though it is there.

The Teac digital amp that Hi-Finthen mentioned is a pretty good choice, but it pretty much requires a pre-amp for volume control. If you need more power, or want a stand alone unit, the Panasonic XR-55 would be a great digital amp choice at ~$230.

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 7
As marvin suggest are the digital recievers which are a great deal with remote and excellent stereo clean power with very good bass response with real drive! Either the Panny-55 or the JVC also! lots of info. on them on the various BBs...Bought thru Amazon....

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 7
there is no "General Concensus" it seems that people either love it or hate it.

I love it. i use my modified everyday and will continue to use it until it breaks. it was the best 30 bucks I've spent on audio. it drives the paradigm Titans to an incredible volume and they aren't that efficient.

it's 30 bucks. Buy it. it'll be the cheapest part of your system and if you don't like it, give it to a friend, or use it battery powered for picnics or tailgating.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back