General consensus on HDD players
Nov 13, 2006 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
My ipod just died on my this week, as in the HDD is corrupt and won't reformat correctly. I've noticed that this happened to a lot of people so I guess it's time to get a new player. I'm looking for a new player with about 30-40gb space. The ones I know of are:

Creative Vision M
Cowan iaudio X5
iPod 5Gen

Bottomline is I want something small in size that in cheap(er) and plays audio well and that I could use with my AE-1. I probably wont end up using an video or picture fuctions. My price range is $250 tops. Thanks all.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 9
iSleipnir
Quote:

[T]he HDD is corrupt and won't reformat correctly. I've noticed that this happened to a lot of people

I won't say I haven't had problems, but one way or the other I have always been able to reformat. The only times I have ever had problems was when the iPod was broke or a battery issue.

Have you gone on the Apple site. Would reformating in Linux work (????) If its bricked, have you tried a file utility program (????) Have you tried downloading and formating with an older OS (????)

Good Luck

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 9
iSleipnir, after three trouble free iPods, my 4G had increasing HD problems until it died recently. Interestingly I was able to keep it going restoring/reformatting on a PC (then using on a Mac) over doing the same on the Mac itself for a few weeks.

Anyway, it's now dead. The trouble is lots of people are expecting a new generation announced at Macworld in now less than 60 days out. If indeed its video oriented you may not be interested, but thought I would mention it. I went with a refurbished shuffle for the next two months, expecting to buy the next gen. Not sure your thoughts on this, but another option is to keep an eye on the Apple store. Refurbished 30GB models were showing up for $160. Likely will again over the next few weeks. Save some of the money you lost.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
squeeze a bit more out of your budget and get an imod
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
iSleipnir, after three trouble free iPods, my 4G had increasing HD problems until it died recently. Interestingly I was able to keep it going restoring/reformatting on a PC (then using on a Mac) over doing the same on the Mac itself for a few weeks.

Anyway, it's now dead. The trouble is lots of people are expecting a new generation announced at Macworld in now less than 60 days out. If indeed its video oriented you may not be interested, but thought I would mention it. I went with a refurbished shuffle for the next two months, expecting to buy the next gen. Not sure your thoughts on this, but another option is to keep an eye on the Apple store. Refurbished 30GB models were showing up for $160. Likely will again over the next few weeks. Save some of the money you lost.

Thanks for your post. I dug my iPod out again and instead of showing me the goto "apple/support" screen it started syncing with my computer, weird. So now just to be sure I'm reformatting it through windows cmd->format J:
Hopefully this will get rid of my problems. If not we'll see.
-Nick

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Don't give up on your iPod yet. Smash it. If that doesn't work, take the cover off, take out the HDD, and then smash it. It should work if the HDD is clicking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back