General consensus of opamp sonic signatures?
Mar 1, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

It should also be noted that the 'sonic signature' of an opamp matters a lot less when the output is buffered, and further that the buffer itself will add it's own 'sonic signature' - buf634 will be different from HA3-5002, and different from el2001, and different from discrete buffers, and the discretes used in those buffers will have an effect as well.

I don't agree with that statement at all Eric.I find that no matter what final stage is added to an opamp output it is always the "front end" gain stage that provides the overall sonic signature to the whole amp.the output adds but just a fractional amount to the overall sonics.

YMMV but that is how I hear the combinatin so always choose the opamp with far more care as to the sonics which sets the overall amp "tone" then the follower stage where I concentrate more on the ripple specs (more current =more ripple=heavier filtration).

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 18
They both sound bland and chocolaty IMO I much prefer the likes of AD8065, LM6171, OPA2227 etc. Out of the 2134 and 627 I'd probably go with the 627 but only "just" I really wouldn't pay the extra just to get a very minimal difference in SQ.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
As I understand Tangent's description of his test amp, he buffers the virtual ground, but not the right and left channels.

That's right. It's basically a CMoy with a BUF634 following the resistor divider.

Quote:

I think you interpreted it as he is using a buffered amp such as a Mint or Pimeta.

This gets into the buffering discussion above. My take is that buffers do color the sound, but they do not wipe out the op-amp's sound signature. The bright HA-5002s will make AD8610s sound even brighter, while the darker BUF634 will roll some of that off. But, the 8610 + BUF634 combo won't fool discerning ears into believing they're listening to OPA627s, just because the BUF634 has the BB sound character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back