General characteristics of R2R DACs
May 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tutetibiimperes

100+ Head-Fier
I recently saw this video from Apos Audio where they keep flipping between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Topping E30 in various sound test songs.

While I realize that the recording then had to go through the ADC of their recording device, YouTube compression, and then my own DAC before I could hear it, so has gone through several additional steps of processing, I can definitely hear a difference, with the Modi Multibit giving a wider more open sound, and I swear I'm also hearing more detail, while there might be a slight edge in clarity on the Topping (I seem to hear it most in the clarinet in the third musical sample, it sounds a bit flat/subdued on the Schiit).

I've never actually owned a Multibit DAC, mainly because I rely on my RME ADI-2 DAC so much for EQ and there are no Multibit DACs that I'm aware of that have the built-in EQ functions like the RME (I don't use a computer as source, and use Apple Music for streaming which doesn't integrate with Roon). Though now that MiniDSP has released the MiniDSP Flex Digital I could have an inline digital full parametric EQ solution and put whichever DAC on the terminating end (though having only four preset save slots would be a significant downgrade from the RME).

It the Schiit Multibit a good representation of the general sound signature of all R2D DACs? I like the spacious sound and detail, but ideally I'd love to have something that doesn't come with that slight upper-range veil or lack of clarity. Something that's aggressive and full-range in nature so that attacks and transients are rendered with emphasis and great detail from the lowest bass to the highest treble would be ideal, or are more R2R DACs more laid back?

May 11, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 4
I recently saw this video from Apos Audio where they keep flipping between a Schiit Modi Multibit and a Topping E30 in various sound test songs.

While I realize that the recording then had to go through the ADC of their recording device, YouTube compression, and then my own DAC before I could hear it, so has gone through several additional steps of processing, I can definitely hear a difference, with the Modi Multibit giving a wider more open sound, and I swear I'm also hearing more detail, while there might be a slight edge in clarity on the Topping (I seem to hear it most in the clarinet in the third musical sample, it sounds a bit flat/subdued on the Schiit).

I've never actually owned a Multibit DAC, mainly because I rely on my RME ADI-2 DAC so much for EQ and there are no Multibit DACs that I'm aware of that have the built-in EQ functions like the RME (I don't use a computer as source, and use Apple Music for streaming which doesn't integrate with Roon). Though now that MiniDSP has released the MiniDSP Flex Digital I could have an inline digital full parametric EQ solution and put whichever DAC on the terminating end (though having only four preset save slots would be a significant downgrade from the RME).

It the Schiit Multibit a good representation of the general sound signature of all R2D DACs? I like the spacious sound and detail, but ideally I'd love to have something that doesn't come with that slight upper-range veil or lack of clarity. Something that's aggressive and full-range in nature so that attacks and transients are rendered with emphasis and great detail from the lowest bass to the highest treble would be ideal, or are more R2R DACs more laid back?
I've always liked my Modi multibit. I also own a Modi 3+ and Modius. I owned a Topping D50s but didn't care for it. But with that said I recently bought a Modi 3E and Schiit has done a wonderful job implementing the ESS chip. Since I bought it I've been using my Modi multibit less. It has a lot of the Modi multibit characteristics but to my ears better on the top end. Really a steal at $129.

May 13, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Consider the things you mentioned a test like this is limited on the sound quality aspect. It still could be helpful since there is a difference between the two. With eyes closed I like the multibit sound signature more.

Without hearing these in person it’s really difficult trusting the sound signature by a test like this. I’m using a Shanling M6 pro 21 as a dac. Since there’s no line out been considering a home dac so also researching options. Going add to multibit to list of the ones I’m consider.

May 18, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 4
I have an Aqua La Scala that is a FPGA R2R DAC with a valve/MOSFET analog output stage. You would think it would provide a warm, rolled-off sound but instead it's one of the most neutral and natural sounding components I have ever heard. Open, analytical and effortless would be the best way to describe it. The least "digital" sounding digital source I have ever heard, but not one trying to emulate a turntable. Rather, it is its own beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back