General Beginner's Vinyl Advice
Jan 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

eertelppa

100+ Head-Fier
......Short version below........

Everyone,

I just bought a used Technics 1210 turntable. Any suggestions on cartridges,stylus, headshells? Denon's keep popping up in my searches.

Also what about vinyl accessories (brushes, bubble level, force gauge, etc etc)? Maybe your prefered website to order stuff from (maybe nicest people or best prices etc)?

Thanks for any help,

Austin

......Long version below........

Everyone,

So doing a search for vinyl brings up a slew of threads over the years. I mentioned a few questions in this thread the other day and nikongod helped me out. I was seeing if any others had any input or advice.

I recently purchased a used Technics 1210 that a guy has had at his moms house for five years in a box (he goes to Stanford and took with him his matching set of TT's). Got it for a good price IMO (not amazing but good).

The turntable:

He claims it is in good working order. Currently no headshell, stylus, cartridge. I did some checks with the times and if it was running clockwise and counterclockwise depending on the pitch. I also changed the 33/45 speeds several times. Everything seemed to check out fine except for the tone arm. I watched a youtube video about putting the anti-skating on zero and moving all the way to 3 and the arm should move to the center and vice versa. My arm stayed like the second one shown (a bad one) in which it moved very little. the video

Over the past month I have done some reading, searching, scouring, and have a few additional questions.

- I used the following to help get me on the right track:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/460213/cartridge-stylus-for-technics-mk2

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/294047/technics-1200

NOTE1: Do not want to spend more than $300-500 for stuff right now (stuff is defined below), I have the but plan on buying a car and house soon, so if I don't have to stretch then I won't for the time being (although bear in mind I would rather stretch then rebuy stuff in 6 months)......

NOTE2: I like to think not highest range of stuff but not lowest. I do not mind taking baby steps to get something nicer and well worth the money.

1. Any advice on a cartridge? I don't need top of the line but close to it is fine. The Denon 103/160 keep popping up when I search.

2. Any advice on the best website(s) to buy this stuff from. I know someone has found one that doesn't have skyrocket prices or insane shipping (I am the person who waits for the best deal to come up before buying something)

3. What about a new tone arm? Is this something I should consider? I read about the tonearm being heavy and strong, this goes back to my previous questions of can/will I wear out records listening to them?

4. What about a needle/stylus?

5. Bubble level, record brush, alignment protractor, force gauge, cartridge brush, headshell?

NOTE3. As far as a preamp and amp, I own a Marantz receiver, but plan on a diy bijou or beta22 (but I want tubes...bad)

NOTE4: My dad has a 80 dollar record cleaner (its nothing fancy/i think its manual) that he claims is amazing and he can do 4 or 5 records every 10 minutes, thus he offered for me to use it. No reason for me to get my own? Only difference in cleaners is speed right? Not quality?

NOTE5: My dad bought these inner sleeves(second ones down) and these outer sleeves(second ones down) (bought a 100 of each and we split them even though I own like 80 records....addicted I know cause that is in 3 months and with no turntable haha) Any suggestions of cheaper websites or maybe different ones we should be using. Since I have not cleaned my records I have not even opened the inner sleeves.

PLEASE do not feel compelled to answer all or spend your valuable time typing me up everything. Even the smallest of answers is appreciated and all advice welcome.

Thanks for everything and helping me out as I know most have been in my shoes before.

Austin

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 43
You can get the Technics headshell here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Technics-Headshell

Add a Shure M97XE cartridge and you will be in business for about $100.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 43
I would definitely recommend a carbon fiber cleaning brush. If you clean all your records good the first time, and pass over them after each play with the brush, you shouldn't have to clean them again for a long time. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 43
You definately need a cleaning brush. Most of the 15-20$ options seem to work fine. The headshell can be bought from KABUSA, as well as an extra thick record mat which made a good difference on my setup. As with cartridges, goldring 1000 series and clearaudio wood MM cartridges worked well for me. I use a goldring 1042 and a clearaudio aurum beta S on my pair of sl1200, one on my headphone setup and one on my speaker setup. Both work quite well with tube and SS phono stages : cambridge 540p and Yaqin MS-22b. The sl1200's arm is quite flexible with the choice of cartridge, but you also have to consider the choice of phono stage with it. For example, you have to invest in a MC compatible phono stage if you want to use a denon dl-103.

To setup the cartridge, I would recommend having someone experienced to help you because it is tiny adjustments that will have a big influence on the sound. I had mine set up by an audio shop for about 30$, and they use the DR Feickert protractor that costs about 200$ alone. If you plan on setting a lot of cartridges yourself you should invest in a good protractor though.

If there is an audio circle near you maybe you could borrow someone his-hers protractor and try to get the hang of it.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 43
Thanks so much for the advice guys.

Anyone else feel free to add your opinions.

ps: looking at a diy hagerman bugle. any idea how i find out which cartridges are compatible with it? i am starting to feel overwhelmed haha. actually just confused. not sure how to choose and decide which stylus, cartridge, headshell, etc is best for me. i want something med-high (think best bang for my buck). i also want to ensure it is compatible with my phono stage. i feel like i need to have it all systematically planned out before buying stuff in order to ensure all the pieces align. does my amp choosing (say a bijou) have any affect on my choices? and will i have the option to use heaphones or speakers with out a lot of changing items around?

i am adding questions to my already long list. blah maybe i should just buy the stuff everyone suggested and bite the bullet.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 43
Cartridge and stylus mean the same thing eertelppa. The stylus is the part of the cartridge that is touching the record. In most cases, one means another. The only case I can think of where you can change the stylus without changing the cartridge is on the goldring 1000 series. They all share the same body (the static part that holds the stylus) and the different styluses are all clipped on the body. As you go up the chain, the styluses become more refined, and consequently more expensive, but it also means you just have to switch the stylus when it gets worn off or breaks. In 99% of cases, the stylus is tied to the cartridge and will have to be changed altogether.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 43
A user replaceable stylus is common in many entry level cartridges. The Shure M97XE has a repalceable stylus, as do many AT carts, as well as the Grados Wuwhere mentioned.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 43
Ok well that is the impression I was under......

So am I wrong in assuming that you have a cartridge that goes under your headshell and it has a body along with a needle? This is why I was differentiating between a cartridge and stylus because I was under the impression you buy a cartridge and subsequently change the needle as needed (every X amount of hours).

Thanks for explaining guys. No one has suggested a Denon cartridge any particular reason? I did a google search about the Hagerman Bugle and saw the Denon mentioned yet again. I am not pushing the Denon just curious. 

When discussing with my dad over the phone (I need to go to his house and see his Thorens and set up first hand, which he has only had like a week) I was questioning his setup. He did not do much research or reading when laying down the money for for all his stuff, thus I often question if he knows what he is doing or is getting the most out of his equipment. He claimed his ortofon did not need calibrating because it is already connected to his headshell...

Thanks so much everyone. I am chomping at the bit to use my TT since I have bought around 100 lps over the past few months and just finally bought a TT, although I do not want to buy any ole cartridge, accessories, etc and want to upgrade in six months. 

Austin

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 43
The Denon DL110 and 160 are very nice cartridges and can be used with any phono preamp. The DL103 is also very nice but is low output moving coil and will require a phono Pre that can handle that.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 43
Thanks for the information. Although do you still feel the Shure is the way to go? By spending the extra amount will it be worth it, in your opinion? And if I splurge now will I have to change it out after so many hours or can I simply change the needle?

Assuming I wanted to eventually build a phono preamp, like the hagerman bugle (although I would prefer to build something with tubes), how do I find out what cartridges can be used with it?

I am getting confused on compatibility between the phono preamp, cartridge, headshell, tonearm, etc. Is it size constraints, output, resistance, or some sort of stats I can read up on and figure out what all will work with what?

Also it seems a new tonearm not with the base just the arm itself will cost $60ish. Should I look into investing in a new tonearm or could I wait? My tonearm is similar to the second one in this video?

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 43
If you want to learn everything there is to know about cartridge/arm matching, and set-up, you will need to look up some articles on that.  There is a lot to cover there. 

My suggestion is to get the headshell and the Shure for under $100 - if there is a local audio dealer by you that sells the Shure, they might install it for you for free or very cheap if you buy it there and not online.  Audio Consultants in the Chicago area does this if you buy cartridges from them.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 43
Like Sky alluded to, you may wanna get familiar with how to setup a cartridge properly, like azimuth, VTA, VTF, anti-skating, overhang, etc...

Phono cartridges have have outputs in the hundred millivolts, these are considered high output. However, there are moving coils that have outputs in
the hundred microvolts, these are low output. For these, you would need a preamp that has a very low input voltage sensitivity.

There is also load impedance, usually 47kOhms is good enough. But some cartridges, like moving coils, may need a different load to sound
their very best. Some phono preamps have the capability to change the load.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Although do you still feel the Shure is the way to go? By spending the extra amount will it be worth it, in your opinion? 

I've had several Shure cartridges (M75 and V15-VxMR). Personally I've always found them a bit 'boring'. But they provide good detail, flat frequency response and are relatively easy to set-up. The Denon DL110 & 160 provide warmer mids and highs, at the cost of definition in LF. The DL103 is much better, but requires an MC pre-amp. I've had an DL110 and a DL304, and loved the last one for classical music, but is quite a different league price-wise. 

If you like more dynamics and more presence in the mid range Ortofon (2M-Red is a great option) and Audio Technica (in particular the AT95 is great fun) are good options. But you do sacrifice some detail and refinement that Denon and Shure offer at this price range.

High output MC like the Denon DL110 and 160 are usually a bit more picky re tonearm/setup. If you don't have the right tools I would advise to stay with MM cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back