Gene Kelly in New Ad!!!
Feb 14, 2005 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Feb 15, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Sacrilege!!
How dare they do this to one of the greatest dance routines of all time.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks. I was very impressed by it. I thought is was extremely well done considering the moves involved. And no - its not "Sacrilege!!".

While I do agree that the idea of Kelly doing such an ad might not be 100% ok, it was ok'd by his estate. Now...if only they would release a full blown 3-4 min song with same theme as the music video. Very cool.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 18
I'm not sure that his estate owns any part of that clip. It was produced in the era when motion picture stars were contracted to studios and did not receive royalties or cuts of the gross on future use of performances. All of the money is probably going to the studio that owns Singing in the Rain. And I'll bet that they don't need the permission of his estate to license the clip to the advertisers.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I'm not sure that his estate owns any part of that clip. It was produced in the era when motion picture stars were contracted to studios and did not receive royalties or cuts of the gross on future use of performances. All of the money is probably going to the studio that owns Singing in the Rain. And I'll bet that they don't need the permission of his estate to license the clip to the advertisers.

According to Elsewhere (one of the kids who did the bboy dancing for the commercial), the estate approved it.

"David: Yeah it's kind of weird, but imo it kind of comes with the territory when you're a legend. I don't know if Gene would be too hot about the whole thing but obviously the Gene Kelly Estate approved it, so it's apparently not that crass to them."

Anyways, seeing this kid dance is amazing. Singing In The Rain is one of my favorite movies and I thought the commercial was well done and definitely in good taste.

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears

Have you seen Paddington Bear doing the dance? Kelly sings, the bear splashes around and it is animated history.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
Sacrilege!!
How dare they do this to one of the greatest dance routines of all time.

Then what you say about Clockwork Orange, where a woman is raped on the screen with the same song and dance routine performed by the rapist.

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
Then what you say about Clockwork Orange, where a woman is raped on the screen with the same song and dance routine performed by the rapist.

Well, it wasn't Gene Kelly who was doing the raping. The whole purpose of that segment in A Clockwork Orange was to shock. To me, this was just a lame attempt to re-create a legendary dance routine. If you want to re-create something, that's fine, but to super impose Gene Kelly's face is an insult to his genius and artistry, imho.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Very cool ad. Though a side effect it had on me, and one that I'm sure VW in no way intended, was to go watch the Honda "Cog" commercial (ie one of the greatest advert of all time) again.
biggrin.gif

~KS

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 18
Loved the idea, and visually it looked good (nice comping, lighting, interaction), but I thought the animation wasn't quite there. Granted, breakdancing is not the easiest thing in the world to animate, but there was still something a little 'wierd' about the way his body moved that blew the whole illusion to me. I guess I'm just an animation snob spoilt by the likes of pixar
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 18
Actually the break dancing is all real. They used 3 different dancers in the commercial. The moves you see are all 100% real.

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 18
When you say 'real', do you mean motion captured? or a 3d head comped over the dancers' actual bodies? In any case, I looked at it again and see what's going on. It looks like they're doing some freaky time-warping effect which is what gave it the 'wierd' feel...the QT is not too clear on this linux box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back