Gen 2 Super.fi 5 paired with E3/E5
Dec 31, 2008 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nukes4kids

New Head-Fier
I am planning in picking up this combo to replace my two year old V-moda Vibes and I have a few questions for anyone who has sampled this combination.

Seeing as the E3 amp [havn't heard anything of the E5] improves the tonality/clarity in the low-range & bass and the Super.fi 5 lacks in it, does this combo significantly improves its sq? And if it does, will the buds retain its features of a wide soundscape and detailed highs/treble (which isn't too worry of a worry if the different is miniscule)

Thanks for the input! Btw, this is a great community
beyersmile.png

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 2
I have the E5 and had the E3 in use with the SF 5. I do not use the stock Comply's or silicones with the SF 5 as they veil them and I also use a 75ohm impedance adapter since @13ohm and 115 sensitivity they underperform even unamped. So my impressions are based on how I run the SF 5 which is about 25% better than stock/out of the box. I use a Cardas mini-mini as the stock cables that FiiO throw in sound a bit muddy and can only be used with cheaper phones with less clarity.

I thought the E3 wasn't good enough to use with the SF 5. Hurt the soundstage, the bass clarity, and rolled off the treble. Transparency was not even a thought with the E3's shortcomings.

The E5 is much better to my ears. Improves the soundstage, transparency, and detail with practically no roll-off. The bass mode is not as clear so I use my player's EQ instead for a bit more punch without distortion/mud.

I think my source and the E5 synergize really well but the transparency is probably the best I have heard in an earphone and the SF 5 does bloom to have wonderful bass with power and punch. Unamped Triple.fi 10 bass vs the cheaper SF 5 with mods/E5 is not even close.

So, while I wouldn't even use the E3 with the UE, I highly recommend the E5. I also recommend things like I've done to make it truly high end sounding. All the stock tips/interconnects etc. won't release the potential of the E5 or SF 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back