Geez. Now that I narrowed down my search, I have no where to try these headphones.
Mar 15, 2006 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
The nearest Sam Ash is about an hour away from me and does not have none of my choices in stock, neither does the nearest Guitar Center (about 5 minutes away).

I live in south NJ (near Atlantic City, NJ) and want to try these headphones out first before making the decision on which I like best for my usage.

My choices are:

1st choice: Beyer Dynamic DT-880

2nd choice: Sennheiser HD 650

3rd choice: Grado SR 325i (actually these are almost tied in 2nd place since you guys say they sound good with rock. I have to have Jimi Hendrix's tone come alive. Its a must.)

4th choice: AKG K-701

I will hold out on an amp for about a month or two but I defintaly want one of these pair of headphones.

Where are there places I could go to "demo" these headphones?

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 11
As a matter of fact, which headphones do you guys listen to Jimi Hendrix with? Or better yet, which ones make his guitar tone stand out/come alive?

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 11
The Grados, at least for the music (as mentioned in the other thread). I tried all 4 of those cans at a recent meet - in fact I asked for a meet so I could choose my new headphones! In super short form: The HD-650 was surprisingly mediocre to me, it sounded OK and that was it. The K701 was really nice and clear sounding but a little boring/analytical. The 325i had a somewhat similar sound to the 701 but was exciting. The DT880 sounded like 85% of the K701 sound quality-wise with a muddy low end, I really was dissappointed as I had thought I was going to buy them or the 990s.

There are places in NYC if you're willing to drive. I've seen a few of them named here but I don't recall. Grado is located there as well
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
As a matter of fact, which headphones do you guys listen to Jimi Hendrix with? Or better yet, which ones make his guitar tone stand out/come alive?

your third choice - the Grados. Have no Doubt. The Alessandro MS-2i are good here too.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Ooh yeah, Alessandro or Grados are king for guitar tones.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
your third choice - the Grados. Have no Doubt. The Alessandro MS-2i are good here too.

I haven't heard much about the MS-2i's, how do they compare to the 325i's?

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Don't get DT880s for guitar rock, IMO you will be disappointed.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Most "audiophile" shops tend to carry Grado and Sennheiser phones, so just find one and you'll be in business. Beyers and AKG's are a bit tougher, my suggestion would be a large pro-audio shop, if you can find one (I know of good ones in LA and SF, but that's no help for you).

That said, the DT880, HD650, and K701 are all a bit on the polite, restrained side for rock music. You might prefer this if you don't want to hear how bad a lot of rock CD's are recorded, or if you find listening for long hours to be fatiguing on more revealing gear. The Grados are a decent option for a less restrained sound, but they have quite a bit of additional distortion in the highs, which can be fatiguing, though some love it. Another headphone to consider in this class in the Sony SA5000 (though good luck finding a store with them to hear), they are less restrained like the Grados, but more refined in their presentation, so they are not as fatiguing but more energetic than the first three cans mentioned. I spent two years trying different cans, and have settled on them for more than a year now, so perhaps give tham a consideration, if you already haven't.

Good luck in your headphone quest.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Most "audiophile" shops tend to carry Grado and Sennheiser phones, so just find one and you'll be in business. Beyers and AKG's are a bit tougher, my suggestion would be a large pro-audio shop, if you can find one (I know of good ones in LA and SF, but that's no help for you).

That said, the DT880, HD650, and K701 are all a bit on the polite, restrained side for rock music. You might prefer this if you don't want to hear how bad a lot of rock CD's are recorded, or if you find listening for long hours to be fatiguing on more revealing gear. The Grados are a decent option for a less restrained sound, but they have quite a bit of additional distortion in the highs, which can be fatiguing, though some love it. Another headphone to consider in this class in the Sony SA5000 (though good luck finding a store with them to hear), they are less restrained like the Grados, but more refined in their presentation, so they are not as fatiguing but more energetic than the first three cans mentioned. I spent two years trying different cans, and have settled on them for more than a year now, so perhaps give tham a consideration, if you already haven't.

Good luck in your headphone quest.

Thanx guysm I really appreciate all the help. You guys already got me wanting to buy another pair (just ordered the DT 880's today) just for my rock. I am seriously think about purchasing the SR 325i's just to listen to my rock. I may get them in a month or two. (ahhhh who am I kidding, I know I will get them in a couple of weeks knowing me lol!)

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 11
On Monday, buy a pair of HF-1s for $200 - see the TTVJ forum/thread. This is the best deal on any Grado even though I prefer the 325i. This will only be available for a few hours I suspect to due the incredibly limited quantities and very high interest.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Join us at the National Meet in NYC in April so you can demo all sorts of fantastic gear!!!
biggrin.gif
Hit the Meetings/Parties/Get-Togethers forum for the details!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back