Geez, I think I'm just about done...
Dec 28, 2004 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Well folks, with the recent arrival of my HD 25’s (to complete my mobile rig) I think I can say with reasonable confidence that I’m finished buying headphone gear (cans and amps) for a good long while.

It’s been fun along the way, and I have gained and benefited tremendously from having head-fi.org as a source for advice, knowledge, and inspiration. I want to thank Jude & all the moderators for this site’s past, present, and future (especially Zanth for all of his advice & Shanling tips). No doubt about it, this is one of the coolest (if not THE coolest) forums on the net…I’m proud to be a contributing member of this family.

I feel extremely happy about all of the gear decisions I’ve ultimately gone with (my signature & profile has all the details), and I think I’ve fared pretty well as far as “dud” purchases go. My first significant foray into head-fi was the purchase of a Total Airhead & HD555 from HeadRoom. This was before I knew about head-fi.org, & I have to confess to buying into the marketing hype on the HeadRoom website. I don’t regret those purchases, but in hindsight, I should’ve known myself a little better…I knew almost before I received my order that I’d have “upgrade-itis”. There was no way I was going to be satisfied with that gear…and I went about my subsequent purchases with this self-knowledge in mind.

I’ve seen others give this advice elsewhere, but think I can now say from experience…if you’re just getting into this hobby, and you're fairly certain that you're planning to get into head-fi in a big way, do yourself a favor…do your research, save up your money, and make quality purchases from the beginning if possible. You really will save yourself some money in the long run.

Yea, I’ll still be making some purchases here & there…some cable tweaks are calling my name as we speak.

And, yea…the Ultimate Ears really look sweet…but again, knowing myself, I won’t be satisfied with anything but the UE-10’s…and, uh, no…I’m not gonna bite off another $900 at the moment.

I said no...

...and I mean it.

No siree!

Ok. Maybe I’m not quite done yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Peace,

Graz

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 15
Oh, that lovely peace of mind just after a purchase. That heavenly feeling that the hunt is over for good, that confidence that what you have is the best you can get.
Complete satisfaction, can't even imagine what it feels like to be hungry.
Sometimes the satori stays for weeks, even months...

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Well folks, with the recent arrival of my HD 25’s (to complete my mobile rig) I think I can say with reasonable confidence that I’m finished buying headphone gear (cans and amps) for a good long while.

It’s been fun along the way, and I have gained and benefited tremendously from having head-fi.org as a source for advice, knowledge, and inspiration. I want to thank Jude & all the moderators for this site’s past, present, and future (especially Zanth for all of his advice & Shanling tips). No doubt about it, this is one of the coolest (if not THE coolest) forums on the net…I’m proud to be a contributing member of this family.

I feel extremely happy about all of the gear decisions I’ve ultimately gone with (my signature & profile has all the details), and I think I’ve fared pretty well as far as “dud” purchases go. My first significant foray into head-fi was the purchase of a Total Airhead & HD555 from HeadRoom. This was before I knew about head-fi.org, & I have to confess to buying into the marketing hype on the HeadRoom website. I don’t regret those purchases, but in hindsight, I should’ve known myself a little better…I knew almost before I received my order that I’d have “upgrade-itis”. There was no way I was going to be satisfied with that gear…and I went about my subsequent purchases with this self-knowledge in mind.

I’ve seen others give this advice elsewhere, but think I can now say from experience…if you’re just getting into this hobby, and you're fairly certain that you're planning to get into head-fi in a big way, do yourself a favor…do your research, save up your money, and make quality purchases from the beginning if possible. You really will save yourself some money in the long run.

Yea, I’ll still be making some purchases here & there…some cable tweaks are calling my name as we speak.

And, yea…the Ultimate Ears really look sweet…but again, knowing myself, I won’t be satisfied with anything but the UE-10’s…and, uh, no…I’m not gonna bite off another $900 at the moment.

I said no...

...and I mean it.

No siree!

Ok. Maybe I’m not quite done yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Peace,

Graz

The UE10pros are amazing...you should really hear them for yourself...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 15
The only way to stop is to never return to head-fi. I'm serious. I stopped coming for a few months, and I was really content for the period. It's all about willpower.

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
Oh, that lovely peace of mind just after a purchase. That heavenly feeling that the hunt is over for good, that confidence that what you have is the best you can get.
Complete satisfaction, can't even imagine what it feels like to be hungry.
Sometimes the satori stays for weeks, even months...

Yep...."peace of mind just after a purchase"....a warm and fuzzy feeling that flies right out the window upon a return to Head-fi! My advice....be happy and run like he!! from this place.

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The only way to stop is to never return to head-fi. I'm serious. I stopped coming for a few months, and I was really content for the period. It's all about willpower.

Yeah....but I have NO willpower. I'm cursed and broke.

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

But...you came back.
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
But...you came back.
tongue.gif

I'm weak. Came back, bought new gear (and sold em again), and racked up my post count by helping newbies and starting idiotic and useless fights. If you can't tell, I'm not a success story.
tongue.gif
But there's always hope for others . . .

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Hey, I'm just about done! I mean, really, what more upgrades do I need?

*hides shopping list with Blue Hawaii, Stax Omega II, Meridian G08*

No, I mean really. I don't need anything else, I'm *happy* with my setup. Even relatively cheap source components and tweaks are totally out of the question.

*thinks about cancelling order for MMF-5 turntable*

Come on! I won't even spend another $25 on audio gear, ever!

*thinks about returning AV-710*

I'm sorry guys, but you're doomed. You're all doomed. Run, try to use your will, try to stay away, it's pointless. There's the peak of the moutain in front of you (010, HE90, 007), and until you get there, you're just gonna keep upgrading. And even after that.

I remember with fondness getting the 001 and thinking "ok, this is it. Spending $1000 or more on headphones is nuts!"

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 15
its good i still have room to grow. i dont know how i'm gonna manage to pay for everything, but i'll find a way.

a lil' asian boy always finds a way.....

Dec 29, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
There's the peak of the moutain in front of you (010, HE90, 007), and until you get there, you're just gonna keep upgrading.

LOL...dude, your mountain is way taller than mine. My "peak" is reached (allegedly)
evil_smiley.gif

I think I might be lucky being isolated here in Taiwan...if I was back in the States, I'd be tempted to hook up on one of the meets...and then I'd definitely be in trouble!

Peace,

Graz

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

get a pair of K501s. *then* you'll stop.

Until you want to hear some bass...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Until you want to hear some bass...
evil_smiley.gif

ah you younguns, gonads connected to your ears
evil_smiley.gif

fact is, my fresh out of the box 501s are about equal in depth to my unlamented 325s, just cleaner.

you should check out the recent OMG Bass thread. current production (which i guess i have) is less lean when new. PinkFloyd listens to Pink Floyd with 'em, so i guess they eventually learn to Rock.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back