Gear Recs for Audiophile Newbie
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CollideTheBeautiful

New Head-Fier
Newbie to the audiophile world and I need some gear suggestions for my listening tastes.

How much would you like to spend? $1000

Can you stretch your budget if significant quality/ features improve at a slightly higher price point? Yes

What are you plugging the headphones into? I don’t know yet!

Do you need noise isolation? No

Will this be primarily for home listening? Yes

Do you do a lot of flying (on airplanes)? N/A

Are you hard on gear? No

Are you a bass-head, focused on accurate acoustic timbre, looking for sparkly treble, or do you want a tonally balanced pair of headphones? I like a fair amount of bass. I dislike too much treble.

Preferred music genre(s) -

Atmospheric/Space Rock: HUM, Angels and Airwaves, gates, Mogwai, Arctic Sleep, The Smashing Pumpkins, Failure, I Mother Earth, Explosions ok the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Starset, Teenage Wrist

Trip Hop: DJ Shadow, Portishead, Massive Attack, DJ Cam, DJ Krush

Emo/Post-Hardcore: blink-182, Story of the Year, Finch, Chevelle, Senses Fail, My Chemical Romance, Funeral for a Friend, Thrice

What have you used in the past? Bowers and Wilkins PX, Audio Technica ATH-M50x

What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it? Both are great. The PX serves as my wireless headphone set and use it for hours every day for work. The Audio Technica is for home listening and is my goal to replace. The sound is excellent, but I suspect there’s a better listening experience out there and I’m ready to jump in.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve? Now that I’m working from home, I’m ready to purchase a high end open-backed set of headphones to increase my music experience. I have the space for an amp and DAC if needed.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Schiit DAC and Schitt AMP, HD600 Headphones to Start.

Source: This is where I started, great value, below $1000. I used that set up for 5 years straight no upgrades, then eventually upgraded to the land of empty wallets doing one or two HUGE upgrades to the whole chain. I only responded because no one did and wanted to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back