Gear Indecision, Help Appreciated
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jzbass25

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm back for more advice, I tried the advice thread but it is swamped right now. This is basically a copy paste with some tweaks, in the end maybe I will just deal with my v-modas and crappy ue100s (they were free so w/e) and not spend any money; however, I'd like to do some research for future buys.

I have some v-moda m-80s (which I love), klipsch custom 3's (broken cable but one channel works and I prefer the m-80 to it judging by only the left ear. Right now I sold some gear and made some moola so I have a good $275-550 to make some additions to my rig... since this forum has made me a gear whore already haha. (I'd mainly like the budget to be the low-mid range in price since I would like to save a little cash)

I don't really mind what size for headphones, be it CIEM/IEM, Full (on or off), I sort of would like IEM's and I almost pulled the trigger on triple fi's and used some extra for new cables for clarity/midrange sake and/or custom remold but I'm not sure if they'll be better than the m-80 or what, I would like the extra portability that iem's offer but I would love some great audio without exploding my wallet on a UM Miracle haha. I want them to be very comfortable too since the m-80 sometimes starts to kill me after  4-5 hours. Also, Im not a huge bass head that needs that hip hop thump.

But I would definitely also like amp/dac suggestions too. But with the m-80s being really my only functioning headphone at the moment I don't necessarily need an amp; however, it would be nice to have an amp with inputs like the maverick d1 where I can have different sources like my ps3, pc, etc, but I also like the idea of having crossfeeding to get a more speaker-like sound (neither are a deal maker or breaker).

I listen to many genres but I mainly listen to rock, prog metal, blues, instrumental, prog jazz and classical. Some examples of my favorites are are Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, SRV, victor Wooten, Marcus miller, Blues Bros and associated acts.

For a little more background I have a biosciencegeek cmoy amp, nothing special but it does its job so if a small headphone needs some amp-age then I at least have the cmoy. Most of my music is only in the 224-320kbits range with some 192kbits sadly so I'm not sure if getting into say a q701 + an amp will change much if I dont get all 320 or flac. But I'm still new to the audiophile scene so I have much to learn so I may be spouting nonsense. (I'm much better at audio equipment related to guitar gear lol)

Some headphones I was looking at but am completely unsure about- Q701, Beyer Dt880, Gr07, Tf10, ClearTune ct200, as for amps possibly an Objective2?

Thanks,
Joe

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Anyone? I was also looking at the maverick d1 since it would be cool to have the option to optical out my ps3 to headphones. Also as far as iems go I've been recommended both the tf10 and gr07, Im just worried about people complaining about tf10's mids and my hesitancy towards the gr07 since it doesn't have replaceable cables and all my iems have died because of broken cables.

Also I was looking at the pro900s but they're pretty expensive and Im not sure if they'd need an amp.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 6
No one? I know I've read grados are good for guitar related things as well but I am concerned how comfortable they'll be and also if they'll be more of a 1 trick pony. The Hd600 recently came into my radar as well.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 6
bump, please anyone? I may just buy the tf10 since a nice headphone + an amp may be a little more than I'd like at the moment; however, a full can sure is sexy huh? hahah
I thought about the hd600 by itself but people say get a nice amp for it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 6
If you want to get a full-size headphone, my recommendation would be the DT880 or HD600 from what you listed. Q701 is a distant third as it is less versatile than the other two. You will need some type of amp for these. I think the O2 amp would fit the bill very nicely. Is unamped a necessity? Also, I would recommend these three above the IEMs you listed unless isolation and portability is a priority.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks! Can you possibly compare the hd600 and beyers? I see many saying the beyers can be a little harsh but the 600ohm version is better. Also I do like what I hear about the hd600s scaling up well with better gear, it gives me hopes that they can be my main home can for a pretty good amount of time. I love the look of the q701 but yeah the beyer or senns seem like a much better choice for my musical taste, especially if they'll be my main home can over the v-moda m-80s.

Also what is the difference between the beyer pro vs premium? I cant seem to find any info on this.

Lastly, I was looking at the O2 but I've been feeling like I should be a little more frugal and keep the budget in the midrange at around 300ish. But, if I can sell another guitar pedal on my other forums then the O2 would probably be a definite purchase; however, I don't really have a dedicated DAC so does that change much? I do have an m-audio fast track, does that act as a good dac? I know the headphone amp in it isn't too strong though.

edit: looks like the O2 will be part of the equation, I got another sale! haha

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back