GCHA: How do I coax better dynamics out? / List some amps with good dynamics
Jul 12, 2007 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
Title says most of it, I think

I love my gcha paired with almost all the headphones I've thrown at it, of which currently the AD2000 and 900LTD are the only ones left lol

However, as noted in the 6moons review, I can't seem to get the dynamic contrast necessary for listening to rachmaninov's 2nd concerto or the new world symphony (i.e. any classical music). The tonality is definitely there, I'm just not drawn in because the gcha is too subdued...

I can alleviate this dynamic problem a bit by cranking up the volume, but I fear (more) tinnitus and there definitely is a hiss which starts to work its way in. Plus wasn't the proprietary gain cell system implemented in the first place to facilitate low-level listening
confused.gif

I'm currently running the gcha off the usb input, and in about a week I'll be trying to hook up an v3 x-dac via m-audio transit. Is there anything I should be doing with this setup now, and would the x-dac push things in the right direction? I was under the impression that dynamics was something shouldered largely by the amp.

I'm also open to other amp suggestions, but it's difficult to sell the gcha right now, as demand seems relatively low.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi! You might want to check out this thread again: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...gcha+low+level

Can you try the GCHA with a good CD player as a source?

The GCHA gives a very detailed presentation, which I understand is not the same as having wide dynamic swings.

I sometimes wonder if, in this hobby, the trade-off isn't between delicate detail, on the one hand, and "dynamic dynamics" on the other?

That said, I have no problems with the dynamics of the amp, but then, again, I'm using CDs. I look forward to other responses, to see what others think...........................

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 9
Hey pantless
wink.gif

Seriously, the first thing that came to mind, by reading the subject line, was your source. Indeed, you are looking generally in the right direction,IMO... Specifically, I'm not familuar with that DAC, other than it comes well regared @ its price point!

Yep, further qualities and quantity of details, impact, frequency extention and big bass, as well as better tone should be the improvements expected as we move up the cost invested in the signals source. At the lower end of cost often there are trade offs between these improvements while soundstage may improve with one piece and one or two of the other qualitys increased in the presentation in the upgrade, for instance...

But, yeah, I do think you are indeed on the right path in general..

Best of luck~

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Low-level listening is astounding with my GCHA. I wish I could help, and wish you the best as you juggle stuff around trying to fix your sound to your liking.

Hope you keep us up-to-date on your findings..............!
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 9
well hopefully I'llbe using m-audio transit > x-dac > gcha soon

Is it just me or are the levels out of the usb sort of...low? I have to turn up the amp to the point where I can clearly hear the hiss off the AD2000s...

Would an impedance adapter alleviate this problem? I'm under the impression that the gcha was suited for high-impedance headphones

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 9
These are puzzling problems you're having. I hope somebody here can help you with the USB...............................
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 9
o the usb level isn't a problem, it's just weird that the usb "line out" is so low

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 9
I got the X-DAC and I plugged it in...it helped the resolution and detail to ridiculous levels, but I still need to listen louder than normal to get stark dynamic contrast to appear. I guess this is just the character of the amp. It helps with everything across the volume range thuogh. BTW if anyone hasn't tried this setup, they should, it's pretty killer for almost anything I can throw at it

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the X-DAC and I plugged it in...it helped the resolution and detail to ridiculous levels, but I still need to listen louder than normal to get stark dynamic contrast to appear. I guess this is just the character of the amp. It helps with everything across the volume range thuogh. BTW if anyone hasn't tried this setup, they should, it's pretty killer for almost anything I can throw at it

Glad you like the dac, it's pretty sweet.

Apparently it's commonly known that getting the x-psu or a little pinkie psu
greatly increases dynamics on the x-dac, you might want to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back