Gave up on Rockbox
Jun 3, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #16 of 21
Totally agree with krmathis, the apple firmware is fine if you are not a FLAC person.

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using Rockbox for over 6 months on my 4g iMod and they have yet to come up with a solution. I must admit I'm getting a bit frustrated myself. I'll never load iTunes on my system but I'm considering getting the 5.5 iMod because it supports gapless playback which is a priority for me. Guess I'll hold out a bit longer but the 5.5 has me tempted to use Apple's firmware.

The low battery life was gettting to me a little (3-4 hours playing Flac on my 4G rockboxed iMod), but that's why I bought a BTI IPod Battery 2. I just got it, but if I get 15+ hours of playtime as another Head-Fier says he gets with his 4G iMod rockboxed, then any battery issues are gone IMHO.
etysmile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 21
icon10.gif
Rockbox's advantage is it is constantly evolving.

For me, the software was only the test bed. Yes, so what if 85% of my tracks are in FLAC.

It was when I followed the instructions at the forum, and added a real time clock to my ihp-140 that Rockbox truely came to age.

I'll flip back to iRiver firmware when it picks up the RTC!
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #20 of 21
When the Recording Enhancements pack was built for the Iriver H120, I was sold. Battery life was similar for playback but it was much improved for recording. With the Rockboxed H120, I could record classes all day on one charge and still have enough charge to play music all evening. And with the real-time clock chip hack, the H120 is even better.

The functionality and sound quality of Rockbox on the H120 is better than the original firmware except for WMA support. When I need WMA support, I can boot to the original firmware, no big deal.

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #21 of 21
GAD, my thoughts precisely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I *loved* Rockbox. I really did. I was very excited to see it available for the 5.5G so I slapped it on my 80G.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work well enough for me.

I have about 9000 songs. The scrolling issue I asked about earlier was a huge problem for me. I refuse to change my habits for a device.
smily_headphones1.gif

The battery life, while initially not a big deal, quickly became a big deal when I realized that I needed to charge sometimes twice a day. The combination of lower battery + huge flac files was too much I think. Of course I wanted Rockbox BECAUSE of flac support, so that sort of sucks. While I could leave it plugged into the wall, I need the dock connector for that. I use a LOD to connect to my amp.

The fact that Rockbox does a complete boot every time it times out was annoying too, but the real deal breaker for me was that it kept crashing. Not super frequently, but once or twice a day it would either crash or completely lock up.

I think Rockbox is an absolutely awesome idea, and I look forward to the continued improvement of the product. I firmly believe that these issues will be resolved in the future. When they are, I'll be an eager user once again.

The process of loading Rockbox was super easy, and removing it was even easier. For those wondering if they should try it - have no fear. If nothing else it's worth seeing what all the fuss is about.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back