GAS Son of Ampzilla - Headphone Usage
Aug 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
In the manual for my Son of Ampzilla, it says it can work with any headphones. This amplifier has no headphone jack so I can only assume one is meant to make an adapter which works with the binding posts--perhaps with banana plugs?

It states something about the efficiency of headphones, and that each channel must be fitted with a 5W resistor, the likes of 50-Ohm to 100-Ohm.

Is this really something people use to do? I can make an adapter, no problem but want to get feedback, first.

Matthew

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 2
In the manual for my Son of Ampzilla, it says it can work with any headphones. This amplifier has no headphone jack so I can only assume one is meant to make an adapter which works with the binding posts--perhaps with banana plugs?

It states something about the efficiency of headphones, and that each channel must be fitted with a 5W resistor, the likes of 50-Ohm to 100-Ohm.

Is this really something people use to do? I can make an adapter, no problem but want to get feedback, first.

Matthew

They sure did and some still do! The most recent examples would be the HiFiman HE-6 headphone owners say it's the only to go with those power-hungry headphones.

Here is a fairly long thread where the topic was discussed at length: http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back