Garrard SL-50 TT, anyone heard of it?..turns out, it is the sl-65b
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

oofie810

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a chance to get a Garrard SL-50 turntable for $25, owner said it "might" be working as he hasn't used it for a couple of years. Will this be a good beginner table? I searched the net and haven't really found anything on this particular model, although the Garrard name shows up often. Is this a good buy or pass on it?

Ron

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Seller emailed me again saying it is a Garrard sl-65B. Pass on it still?

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah, the Garrard Synchro Lab SL-65B! A fine beast - classic design, quality engineering and built like a tank! Garrard SL-65Bs was made in 1971 and later. It was part of the "Component" series back then and features the famous Garrard Synchro-Lab motor that runs at precise, accurate speed. Get it whilst you can. One of the collectable Garrads that still fetches a good price on eBay.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, I bought it from the guy for $15 and it came with its base and dust cover still in their original boxes. I also brought it to a local repair shop specializing in vintage stuff. They owner said it would cost about $180 to service it and have it in good working condition. He actually told me to just move on.

Anyway, I went home and hooked it up and played my one and only record, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Well, I think I'm in love with vinyl.

The auto function doesn't work on the Garrard but no biggie, I can still listen to it. One problem though, when the tonearm reaches about middle of the record, about 3-4 tracks on one side, it just doesn't move. It just plays that line over and over again.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I can't remember much of the inside of the unit. We are going back quite some time here... I think the non working auto return problem is connected to why the arm doesn't move on. There are a couple of levers that detect the end-of-record location. I suspect that these are not properly aligned. I don't have the service manual, but I think you can pick that up on-line for about $8. Worth it of you are mechanical minded and intend to service the TT yourself.
Pics please...

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 7
^will post them in a bit, just have to do some errands and pick up some more records
biggrin.gif
I actually got a manual from vinylengine, but I'm not really sure if that's also the service manual. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but as I looked at it, it does have some clips (round clips) that I really don't know how to remove, and I don't have the proper tools for it.

My plan would be to try to use this and probably pick up a good working condition tt in the future and try to fix this $15 gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back