Garrard 6-300: Need a New Stylus/Cartridge
Aug 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I've been around Head-Fi for a fair while, but have only recently got into vinyl. My dad gave me his sound system from his childhood (dated 77'), and it's a Kriesler Disc-O-Tape console unit with a built-in Garrard 6-300 turntable. The stylus hasn't been replaced for a long time, same as the cartridge. Is it worth just getting the stylus (if so, which one) or a full new cartridge, and if so, which one (on a budget). I just brought some new records, so I don't want to be scratching them in the first plays.

Thanks,
-CaptHowie

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a Kriesler Disc-O-Tape console unit with a built-in Garrard 6-300 turntable. The stylus hasn't been replaced for a long time, same as the cartridge...

I'd say probably not worth spending anything much on it unless you just want to see what kind of thing your dad listened to when he was a kid.

That's an Australian company which was bought by Philips in the '70s so it might be worth something to a collector for nostalgic reasons but in Hi-Fi terms it's not going to be upto much.

The '60s models were at least well made but Garrard were putting their name to some pretty dodgy products by their twilight years and it's probably just a plastic BSR style changer designed for playing stacks of singles.

I wouldn't put any records near it to be honest. If you want a propper taste of vinyl you'd be better off checking yard sales for something better like one of the ones on this list http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 4
I was just going to ask for recommended turntables. It is a cheap plastic disc stacker model, so I'll be looking for something better. The Kriesler console has a AUX port which i've soldered up a cable for, and the components inside the unit are top-notch (in my mind anyway - Alps pots, Elna/Sam Hwa caps) so I'll keep it as a reciever. What would be the easiest turntable to get second-hand, cheaply, that performs well? I'm in Australia, so if anyone has local knowledge it would be great, but anything would be appreciated.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kriesler console has a AUX port which i've soldered up a cable for, and the components inside the unit are top-notch (in my mind anyway - Alps pots, Elna/Sam Hwa caps) so I'll keep it as a reciever. What would be the easiest turntable to get second-hand, cheaply, that performs well? I'm in Australia, so if anyone has local knowledge it would be great, but anything would be appreciated.

I think Kriesler's radio's were pretty well regarded in their day so you're probably on the money there. They must have been doing something right for Philips to consider them worth snapping up.
Also most '70s kit was built to what we'd consider a higher standard today because it generally used discrete components instead of mass produced printed boards. You should check the caps if you can, to see that they are still on spec as well to get the best out of it.
Is the aux a DIN standard? if so you may need to tweak the impedance coming from most kit equipped with RCAs.
I should think the Japanese decks on that list would be common enough in Oz. The Pioneer and Sansui decks were favourites of the era and will be a good visual match as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back