Garrard 401 deck
Oct 26, 2005 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

imported_dom_

Head-Fier
I have posted this on another forum but thought it might be nice to post here too.

So I got another deck... (I think I'm addicted to buying them or something)

I’m pretty sure most of you may not know what a garrard 401 is so I’m going to lay on a bit of history first.
Garrard the crown jewellers were asked during ww1 by the government to make precision range finders. So they setup a manufacturing side of the business. After the war they decided to make other things and keep this side of the business going. They went into making record decks and eventually split from the jewellery business.

The first high end deck they made was the 301 followed by the 401 which was made between 1965 and 1977. Garrard went out of business but the name has since been purchased by Loricraft. Loricraft restore 301's and 401's, they also sell plinths for them and they also make some very expensive record cleaning machines.

The 401 deck is not a belt driven deck. It’s a transcription deck. Which is fancy version of direct drive without the motor directly being coupled to the deck itself.
401-6.jpg

This picture shows you the idler wheel and motor, when on the black idler wheel swings over contacting with the motor unit and this wheel is also in contact with the inside of the platter. So the isolated motor turns which turns the idler wheel which turns the platter.

The 401 is now a very sought after collectable item. It has only been recently discovered that if correctly plinthed the 401 is an outstanding performer. Most people who own them have come from the likes of a Linn sondek lp12. The lp12 was always thought of as a super deck unbeatable almost. But the lp12 owners don’t go back after having a 401.

Ok so pics time and info on my 401.

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

This is the stand i’m using. Its 18mm mdf between beech supports. It has very thick sorbothane feet in the bottom legs to isolate it from what it’s sitting on.
You can see the arm cut-out and the soon to be cut-out 401 lines. This is known as a skeleton plinth. Current thought on garrard plinths is high mass stand with a low mass isolated top plate which the deck sits on being best. With mine the plinth is high mass and the deck sits on sticky sorbothane sheet between it and the plinth making it its own low mass top plate.
I will leave the beach wood as is and paint the mdf at a later stage.

401.jpg

This is the 401 mounted in place without an arm fitted just to test its all working and maintaining speed

401-2.jpg

This is the inbuilt strobe system which allows you to adjust the speed so you hit exactly 33 1/3rpm, 45 or 78 depending on which records you're playing.

401-3.jpg

This shows the rega rb250 mounted on the plinth with a custom vta adjuster from Loricraft on a custom arm mount again made by Loricraft.
The rb250 has incognito wiring fitted which greatly improves this bargain arm. It will shortly have an origin live structural upgrade added and slotted arm tube to further improve the sound.

dyna.jpg

This is my Dynavector 10x4 mkII moving coil cartridge on the end of the rb250.

401-4.jpg

This is the incognito wiring above and mains cable below. I used an old Naim mains cable with Crabtree plug I had lying around. I added the blue braiding because my plugs are colour coded. Blue for phono stage and deck. Black for amp and headphone amp etc.

401-5.jpg

This picture shows you the underside of the deck with the motor housing on the right and bearing housing on the left of the pic. Notice my great sheathing skills on the new earth cable I added.

I must say this combination of arm cartridge and deck is amazing. Since having this setup I have been slowly working my way through my record collection again re-living all the records as I have never heard them before.

I was originally going to paint the plinth but i just ordered a huge amount of matched veener in mahogany. I will post pics when done!

edit: one final pic!
401-7.jpg

the money shot

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 19
Nice. However, I'm missing the part of the story how you found your 401 - and what you've paid for it et cetera...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.:The new Garrard model seems to be very nice, too - it has recently been reviewed in Stereoplay over here, and the pics of the mechanics sure looked impressive...

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 19
Oh, and just for the record, ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dom_
I’m pretty sure most of you may not know what a garrard 401 is (...)

... you might underestimate the Head-Fi community there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 19
very true!

yeah i know about that review it was the new deck from loricraft. i was talking to them about it at the heathrow hifi show.

seems they are more supported/better known in germany than their home country who just dont seem to review it!

i got it off ebay of all things expecting lots of work to be done. but it arrived in very very good condition. i will still send it to loricraft shortly to get it serviced though. loricraft is at www.garrard501.com

price was a silly low £230 !!! but a service is £150ish and possibly more as i will want one of there cork matts for the plinth and power supply which isnt cheap.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 19
too bad you don't live in NYC! i'd love a TLC look at my old dual like you've given the 401, especially in terms of the new ICs and power cable!

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 19
Neat post - thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to your veneered stand. I remember seeing an article in a mag years ago where old Garrards were being set into these huge integral granite bases... was this the Loricraft mod?

I recently upgraded to a VPI Scoutmaster and I am still in awe of the sound my analogue section now produces. It makes me wish I had stuck to buying LPs wherever possible all along instead of being so selective the last bunch of years.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 19
no loricraft use heavy mass plinth and low mass top plates with squash ball like things inbetween (not seen)

purely high mass plinths like granite etc have never been known to give the best sound for a garrard.

edit:
p.s. thanks for the kind comments. will post pics as soon as it is veneered

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 19
Dom,

Congratulations! That's a beautiful turntable! I think it's almost scandalous that no manufacturer produces idler whell turntables any more. Once you have heard a properly restored 301 or 401, there's no turning back. There is something so fundamentally right about the fundamentals region with the old Garrards, the upper bass, lower mids and mids, such effortless musicality, such a rightness and fullness of tone. Beautiful.

But if you go back into the good old times of High-Fidelity, when music reproduction was still music reproduction, why not go all the way? Don't you need a 12 inch arm for your Garrard? If you go Garrard you have to do it in style. Get an SME 3012 with an Ortofon SPU for it. Come on.
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Get an SME 3012 with an Ortofon SPU for it. Come on.
wink.gif

pretty though it is I don't think the SME 3012 is going to be much good for anything other than classical music, but it's almost worth having one for that reason alone if you are so inclined.
Get the Origin Live mods though and it will take your Rega to another level. There's not much short of an SMEIV that will be able to touch it.
Currently using the OL on my Thorens TD125 with an old Supex 901 and it's a good match. Takes the edge of the Rega and is really sweet in the mids. Very open and analogue sounding.
I been thinking of getting an SPU because I recently aquired an Ortofon 212 arm. Brilliant for those 1950's mono pressings but pretty expensive. They have been going for 300+ (UKP) on ebay recently...

The Lenco series of idler drives are very underated. These were made under license by Elac in the US, Bogen and Goldring in Europe and I even saw a Sony version recently.

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 19
yes, im afraid an sme3012 doesnt cut it these days.

friend of mine had one on his garrard 401 and it was good, but when he got a hadcock arm on there... it blew it away.
the rb250 with the origin live mods (which im getting soon) will put a 3012 into place or so im told.

your right about the musicality of it though, i cant believe the sound im getting off of this. only problem is that i can really tell digitally recorded lps from analogue. its putting to shame most of my newly made lps.

oh and the veneer arrives tomorrow!!!!!
so im going to be busy on sunday!

edit:
thought i would add, im hopefully going to have a hadcock with a music maker III from the cartridge man on here start of next year when i have the funds.
if you havnt heard a music maker i urge you to! its an amazing cartridge for the money.

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Oh, and just for the record, ...

... you might underestimate the Head-Fi community there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Indeed. 401s are hardly a secret. Some of us were listening to vinyl when they were still on the market.

Your "history" left out the 201, among other things. The first digit represented the number of speeds on a single deck ("oh-one" = on one).

Nice pics.

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 19
Oh!

The good old days.

I owned the 301 in one of my earlier systems in the 50s. Never had the 401 though.

Just a young kid than - maybe 12 or so. I have gotten 20 years older in the last 50 years though.

Loved to precisely set TT speeds with the strobe.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 19
Very Nice.One of my first "real stereos"was and old gerrard turntable(belt drive I think)and a Harman Kardin intergrated amp,with a couple of very nice AR bookshelf speakers.I still miss that stereo now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back