Gardiner's Bach Easter Cantatas
Feb 26, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
I have just received the 11th issue of the Bach Cantatas series by Gardiner & co (confusingly labeled as volume 22)
cover14b.gif

This release contains six Easter cantatas (BWM 4, 31, 66, 6, 134, and 135) recorded in Eisenach in the church where Bach was baptized and learned to sing. BWM 4 is definitely the pinnacle of the series so far. Perfect is the only adjective that makes justice to the singing of Monteverdi choir here. It knocks my socks off to think that this comes from a single take in a live concert recording
eek.gif

Besides technical perfection (which includes the recording engineers), one really has the impression that Gardiner knows what works in this piece and that everyone was exalted by the occasion. I am not a very spiritual person, but listening to this cantata was truly a mystical experience!
BWM 31 contains the "Final Hour" lullaby for soprano and oboe. Great job in particular by Katharine Arfken (the oboist) who received "final page honours" (the booklet of every issue of the series is concluded by a different soloist writing about their personal memories of the recording).
BWM 66 was adapted from a birthday cantata and it does show. I was really impressed by the orchestra work (with some beautiful violin solo). For some reason, the church acoustics worked particularly well in this piece (e.g. in the contrast between violins and bassons).

The second CD (containing BWM 6, 134, and 135) is not quite as exceptional as the first one but still very good stuff. In particular in BWM 134 you notice what is perhaps the weakest point of Gardiner's Armada: the Alto soloist is no Andreas Scholl and he has lots to do in this cantata. Never mind because the following BWM 135 is a delicious, courtly miniature (not even 9') which concludes with a smile what instantly became my favourite Gardiner's Bach recording, and could certainly become my favourite Bach recording overall.

If you don't feel like shelling out $30+ for the whole set, at least download the eight BWM 4 movements when they'll appear on emusic or iTunes. You won't regret it!

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 16
redface.gif
whoops! Fixed...

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you buy the cd?

from the source. Since I subscribe to the series I got it a few days before it will be officially released (March 2nd). After that it should be available from the usual sellers (amazon, caiman, etc).

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
whoops! Fixed...

Whoops, not quite, it's BWV not BWM.
wink.gif

I have the recording too, and it's just wonderful. Have you heard the Santiago Pilgrimage cd? I've ordered that from Amazon after listening to excerpts at the website.

B000IFRPUA.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoops, not quite, it's BWV not BWM.
wink.gif

Geez! I'd better stick to cars (if only they were made to the same standard as Bach music)! I will leave the mistake there, as everlasting testimony to my ignorance
tongue.gif

Quote:

I have the recording too, and it's just wonderful. Have you heard the Santiago Pilgrimage cd? I've ordered that from Amazon after listening to excerpts at the website.

B000IFRPUA.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No but I know I am going to order it one day. Have you listened to it already?

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 16
They have some samples at the SDG website which sound beautiful. You need Real Player to listen, though. It's all done a capella and the sound of the polyphony is so beautiful.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 16
Pilgrimage to Santiago is a very beautiful album - probably the best I have heard from the Monteverdi Choir and Gardiner. It really is quite breathtaking in places, so refined is the singing, and so powerful the music. Incidentally the earlier album from this journey "Santiago a Capella" is also superb, but this newer disk has the edge over it (if only just).

I must admit I passed up buying the new Gardiner Bach Cantata volume on CD when I saw it the other day (it is already available in HMV in London at the very least), but downloaded the new Vol 34 of the Suzuki series. Both series are partially released online through emusic, but the latest Gardiner is not yet available. I am still trying to decide if I am in for the long haul with Suzuki or Gardiner to replace my aging Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set on CD, so in the meantime I just cheaply download the odd album that gets better reviews than usual, or has a cantata in it that I particularly like. In this case the Suzuki set has a sparkling performance of BWV (or BMW for that matter) 1, which is one of the most attractive of all of the cantatas. BWVs 126 and 127 are also well done, so I can recommend this set as well as the Gardiner.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Cantus Colln does "One Voice per Part" right? How is their BWV 4?
I can't imagine e.g. the second movement without the voices "interplay" of a choir...

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 16
And about BWV 4, their second verse is a little... "slow" and laggish in my opinion.

nvm: I thought it was BWV 249. I listened to their Christ lag in Tobanden once before though on a different label.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And about BWV 4, their second verse is a little... "slow" and laggish in my opinion.

Well, you are entitled to your opinions.
wink.gif
I like the sound that Cantus Colln makes in this repertoire than Gardiner's "uberchoir" Andrew Parrott is another conductor one who did BWV4 "one-to-a-part" and I like his version pretty well also, polished or not.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Yes Cantus Colln is awesome, I first listened to their Membra Jesu Nostri (Buxtehude) and was impressed.

Just curious, Parrot be the first to implement 1vpp, or was the Baroque Scholar's Ensemble the pioneer?

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, Parrot be the first to implement 1vpp, or was the Baroque Scholar's Ensemble the pioneer?

AFAIK Rifkin was the inventor of the 1VPP theory and, if memory helps, the first 1VPP recording was his Mass in B minor. I should be able to verify this later when I am at home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back