Garage Sale Gem
Oct 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
In my neighborhood today there was multiple garage sales going on, I visited every one of them. Most of them contained useless junk, until the last one I stumbled on. At this very garage sale I found a pair of AKG K1000's for sale for only $75! They were the originals with the wooden box (The red paint was little scratched up but that's okay), the owner did not know much about them except that they sounded pretty good to him. I thought that it would give me a chance to get into the hi-fi world that many head-fiers speak of. The problem: I did not have $75 dollars on me, I only had $50. Afraid that someone else might buy them I made a $50 offer for them, the owner said okay "Let me look them up online to make sure that is a fair price, I think they might not be worth what you are paying for them". That was the last thing I wanted to hear and I do not know why he would want to undercharge me, I wish I had $75 so I could have just bought them and not to have a chance that it would slip away. It ended up he looked the headphones up, and take a quess of what popped up on Google when he searched them
^
^
^
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503813/sold-akg-k1000-serial-number-02807

He looked at me and said, I can offer you these for $750. I said "10X the amount it was being sold for?" He told me on the headphone sight he found called head-fi that they have sold before for $1000. I said maybe that was a limited edition, hoping to catch a break. "Nope they are the same ones, just mine are serial number 383X."

I was just about to get a great deal, curse the head-fi F/S system. I was saddened that I wasn't able to get the deal, but maybe I wasn't meant to. I wouldn't be suprised to find those headphones soon for sale in the FS/FT part of these forums.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 12
Damn, I would have been pretty pissed off at that point.

Note to self: take a couple of hundred dollars with me next time I go to garage sales.
Also, not don't haggle when I see a super cheap deal. I'll just throw the cash at him and speed off right away.
devil_face.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 12
You never know, I still probably could have got a deal at $750. But the point wasn't to spend $750 at a garage sale, more like a few dollars. Do you know what the going price for these are, in the #03800 range? I'm just curious

Quote:
Damn, I would have been pretty pissed off at that point.

Note to self: take a couple of hundred dollars with me next time I go to garage sales.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Even if he looked them up online he should have stayed at the price he listed them for. Kinda BS that to but maybe not.

Lets say he would agree to do $75, but you had to withdraw money. So he lets you go to the bank and in the mean time he looks them up and you arrive to find he upped the price. He then says $750 is the price he wants. In that situation I probably would tell him off, but that's me. I have a very short temper.

In all reality though as good as the K1000 sound, other headphone have surpassed them a while back, so I would not be willing to even spend $500 for a pair. Plus you need a beefy speaker amp for them which tend to take up some room. It was probably for the best though. I find the T1 to sound far better and does many things better than them anyways. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd just have nonchalantly asked him to hold them for however long it took you to get the money. Just play it down like they were weird but interesting enough to risk the money on.

In that situation you can't do anything to interest the seller in the item at hand, just the chance of getting money.

Or you could have called a friend to come by and loan you $25, then tip your friend like $10 or something for his time, since he helped you get a steal.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 12
Poorly played, my friend. Sorry for your loss.
devil_face.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 12
I realize this, I wasn't thinking and just made the offer of $50. Why would he research the price of the product while I'm purchasing and not before he sold them is what gets me. It just wasn't meant to be.

Quote:
easy. should've told him you'll be right back. then he'd have no idea how much the actual market value was. opportunity lost

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 12
Something that never ceases to amaze me is people who have stuff like this and who don't do research before offering it up for sale in the first place. I mean, it's not like the K1000 grows on trees. It's one of the most unique looking headphones ever made, and that alone would have been enough to spark my curiosity to look it up if I were him. Plus, where did he get it that he didn't even remotely know what he had?

But, water under the bridge. Sorry this didn't work out for you. Maybe you'll get lucky next time. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back