gapless playback
Dec 21, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a common misconeception. When iTunes scans those files, it's not enabling gapless, it's not changing the file at all, nor does it write something into the database.
( I think i read somewhere, that it does this to check for possible problems with crossfade settings, which of course still only works in iTunes itself)
Gapless also works, if you use Lame-encoded files, and put them on the iPod with a different program (i do this for example with Amarok), which doesn't do this scan.
And what would be "fake gapless" anyway? I mean, you put the files on your iPod, they play gapless, so it's gapless
icon10.gif

Even IF iTunes would change the files, it would be gapless after all
cool.gif

Wait, you get gapless playback on your iPod with AmaroK? on the Windows side I'm using foobar2000 to convert FLAC files to LAME MP3's for my iPod, and then transferring using YamiPod or Floola, and I get no gapless playback. Maybe I'll need to try out AmaroK on my Linux box.

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is amazing that Gapless and Crossfade was already a prominent and flawless feature offered by Rio Karma since for the past 4 years. Gapless is perfect for listening to live sessions and crossfade makes transition pleasant

From the one sample someone at uploaded and posted at Riovolution.org, iPod seems to handle mp3 gapless better than Karma. With my Karma, FLAC and Ogg gapless are absolutely perfect, but with mp3 Karma typically clips, for lack of a better word, a fraction of a second off the front end of the gapless transition. So, for example going from "Chump" to "Long View" on Dookie, "Long View" actually starts a fraction of a second too soon. So, while it's still technically gapless, the flow of the music is still disrupted. (This is the reason I stick to Ogg Vorbis for albums that need it.) iPod doesn't appear to have this problem.

Again, credit where credit is due.

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite8791 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who cares, rockbox has gapless playback and is a hell of a lot better than having to use itunes
biggrin.gif

I'd be all over Rockbox, but it currently doesn't support the Nano 2G
mad.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but with mp3 Karma typically clips, for lack of a better word, a fraction of a second off the front end of the gapless transition. So, for example going from "Chump" to "Long View" on Dookie, "Long View" actually starts a fraction of a second too soon...

Are you sure about this? I seem to remember that was something that was present on the original cd as well. I might be wrong though.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure about this? I seem to remember that was something that was present on the original cd as well. I might be wrong though.

Yeah, I'm sure. This is one of my most frequently used gapless test cases. (American Idiot has a few very good test samples, too.) Not to say you can't necessarily tell when track changes on the original CD. But the transition using FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are indistinguishable from the source CD. With MP3, you can't miss it.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for such a precise statement. I'm sure that will change minds.--Chris

not trying to change anyone's mind. i get riled up when it comes to ipod and itunes and thought i would do a quick vent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even a pretentious or pompous statement usually involves more work.--Chris

not willing to make the effort. i have absolutely no problem if someone wants to use itunes and ipod. it is a very easy to use package. i just make my own little personal stand against itunes and ipod and really don't expect anyone to listen to me.
cool.gif

enough derailing this thread. gapless playback is an absolute must for me. i find some of these posts very interesting indeed. i use only FLAC files on my rockbox'd imod and get absolutely seamless gapless playback. i'm wondering if i can get the same on my new cowon f2 with MP3s. yes, it does support FLAC but for my purposes (i don't use the player for critical listening) and it being only a 2gb DAP, FLAC is out of the question.

EDIT: guess i'm still derailing this thread since now i'm asking about my cowon f2. grrr. my apologies to the OP.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite8791 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who cares, rockbox has gapless playback and is a hell of a lot better than having to use itunes
biggrin.gif

And it doesn't support the 5.5G 80Gb model yet.

Once it does I'm using it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back