gapless playback
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 24
And from at least one report, the gapless playback is absolutely perfect, even with mp3.

I am a long time iPod detractor, but credit where credit is due.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 24
I encode my music with Lame through Max, and the gapless works perfectly. I came to the iPod after my Karma died and used Rockbox at first because of this very issue. Once they fixed it, I decided to gain some battery life and convenience by going back to the Apple firmware.

*I say convenience because I use iTunes on Mac. On my Linux machines I use Amarok which is equally kludgy with either Rockbox or iTunes.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 24
Just to say, Gapless playback is only available by using iTunes (and Winamp technically), Therefore it's not true gapless playback. However, iTunes implementation is still excellent (pity iTunes is not though).

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to say, Gapless playback is only available by using iTunes (and Winamp technically), Therefore it's not true gapless playback. However, iTunes implementation is still excellent (pity iTunes is not though).

I hear this argument a lot, and still don't understand it. Again, for the most part I dislike iPods as much as anyone, but to me, they got it right no matter how you slice it.

Please explain. Thx.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

I hear this argument a lot, and still don't understand it. Again, for the most part I dislike iPods as much as anyone, but to me, they got it right no matter how you slice it.

Please explain. Thx.

If you must use iTunes to obtain gapless playback then you must use whatever encoder is built into iTunes, and thus can't use an encoder of your own choice. Not necesarily a deal killer, but not very desirable either.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you must use iTunes to obtain gapless playback then you must use whatever encoder is built into iTunes, and thus can't use an encoder of your own choice. Not necesarily a deal killer, but not very desirable either.

Are you absolutely sure? This is news to me and seems to conflict with what Otprof said above: "I encode my music with Lame through Max, and the gapless works perfectly."

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 24
this is one of the reasons i hate ipod and itunes. they made it so proprietary like it is the end-all be-all (of course millions of people thinks it is). itunes is also such bloat-ware and i have known it do funky things to systems.

the ONLY reason i got an ipod is because a) RWA's iMod and b) rockbox. i'll never have itunes on my system.

i realize the above sounds rather pompous and/or pretentious but i just really have a thing about ipods and everything that goes with them.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you absolutely sure? This is news to me and seems to conflict with what Otprof said above: "I encode my music with Lame through Max, and the gapless works perfectly."

Well, that was my understanding, but if Otprof has found his method to work then that's good news and I stand corrected.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is one of the reasons i hate ipod and itunes. they made it so proprietary like it is the end-all be-all

What is? Gapless playback?

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
itunes is also such bloat-ware and i have known it do funky things to systems.

Thanks for such a precise statement. I'm sure that will change minds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
i realize the above sounds rather pompous and/or pretentious

Even a pretentious or pompous statement usually involves more work.

--Chris

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that was my understanding, but if Otprof has found his method to work then that's good news and I stand corrected.

I encode all my music to FLAC first and then transcode to MP3 using LAME and then import those MP3 files into iTunes. Gapless works for me here too. When importing the files into the library iTunes actually says that it's scanning/working out the gapless settings for each song.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a common misconeception. When iTunes scans those files, it's not enabling gapless, it's not changing the file at all, nor does it write something into the database.
( I think i read somewhere, that it does this to check for possible problems with crossfade settings, which of course still only works in iTunes itself)
Gapless also works, if you use Lame-encoded files, and put them on the iPod with a different program (i do this for example with Amarok), which doesn't do this scan.
And what would be "fake gapless" anyway? I mean, you put the files on your iPod, they play gapless, so it's gapless
icon10.gif

Even IF iTunes would change the files, it would be gapless after all
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back