Gapless playback ?
Jun 6, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
I think Sony's HDD players do gapless, but I'm not sure if it's does gapless for ATRAC only or for both ATRAC and MP3

They are gapless for Atrac, but only if converted directly from CD. It's certainly a limitation, but that said, it's the only sure thing in terms of true gaplessness I know. The Karma is gapless, but can have its glitches here and there.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 63
Gapless is one of the main reasons I went from the iAudio M3 to the Vaio Pocket. I had a Karma, and while the M3 was pretty darn good, even at a tenth of a second or so, it was annoying on live albums.

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 63
I don't like Sony players. It's weird how after all this time, the Karma is still the only real option for gapless playback.

Is there any technical reason for this ? It just seems strange. My main reason for wanting gapless is that I had a party on Saturday night and used my mp3 player plugged into my amp as the sound system. We were listening to mostly club albums which are mixed continuously. It's bloody annoying trying to dance to such music when there is a short gap between each song.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
They are gapless for Atrac, but only if converted directly from CD. It's certainly a limitation, but that said, it's the only sure thing in terms of true gaplessness I know. The Karma is gapless, but can have its glitches here and there.

ATRAC codec is nativley gapless, even from an analog source - thats why people have had gapless for ages on minidisc players.

The problem however is that ATRAC is way too lcosed and all Sony players force you to use their grabage SonicStage jukebox software, even for MP3. Otherwise, Sony would indeed have something useful there.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
The problem however is that ATRAC is way too lcosed and all Sony players force you to use their grabage SonicStage jukebox software, even for MP3. Otherwise, Sony would indeed have something useful there.

Actually, SonicStage 3.1 isn't bad at all. I started on 2.3 which was a bit klunky, but 3.1 is pretty usable. It's no better or worse than any of the other programs I've used from the DAP manufacturer.

The only thing is that no other application encodes into ATRAC or ATRAC3plus. If that were the case, you wouldn't need to worry about Sonic Stage because on the Vaio Pocket, you have Vaio Music Transfer.

Oh well.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by smiryan
I don't like Sony players. It's weird how after all this time, the Karma is still the only real option for gapless playback..

You have options, you just don't like them. Unless you need FLAC or some certain codec only supported by the Karma, the Sony is the way to go. The new HD5 looks nice.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

You have options, you just don't like them. Unless you need FLAC or some certain codec only supported by the Karma, the Sony is the way to go. The new HD5 looks nice.

Or if you want the best equaliser on any DAP, along with one of the best UIs, an insanely low price, a free docking station or don't like SonicStage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back